Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

No Knitting Friday last week because my camera has been shipped but not arrived and I'm determined that my next KF will have great pictures; no Movie Monday because that was newsletter prep day and I worked from dawn to dusk (though I did have 3 movies to discuss) and now, a Website Wednesday which I think most people will skip because it's POETRY!

Now, why would I choose a poetry site? And not a famous poetry site (well, not yet) at that? Well, because I love poetry. Not for itself in that I will agonize through Shelley and his ilk. (Though I do recognize their brilliance.) But because sometimes, many times, it's the poetic turn of a phase which can reach into and connect with your soul (and I mean your philosophical, not religious being.) For example, Pity me that the heart is slow to learn // What the swift mind beholds at ever turn. which is the ending of Millay's poem. Or the anti-war poems of Sassoon (The rank stench of those bodies haunts me still // And I remember things I'd best forget.), Brooke, and others. The greatest prose literature in the world can't hold a candle.

So take a look at this modern poetry site:

http://hellopoetry.com

where poems are submitted, critiqued privately, and then made available to the entire web world. To its readers and submitters it says:

Welcome to Hello Poetry: Read and discuss classic and contemporary poems with the community. All for free, with no advertisements. Do you write poetry?: Submit your work and get feedback from a community of writers. And when you're ready, you can create and sell your own books in our Bookshop.

I can't promise you the brilliant work of the masters but look for that poetic gem which will grab your mind. I bet it's there.


No comments: