Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

OK, I've spent the early hours of today looking for online geometry for elementary school. A lot of worksheets are out there but not much on the explanation side. The boy is being introduced to geometry big time in the 4th grade. I remember working with the girl in that grade but back then I remember just vandalizing magazines for geometric shapes. Now, we are starting with pure math with questions such as: Is a rhombus ever a square? How would I know? No one ever taught me that!

Finally after countless clicks, I found a math.com page which even has a Venn diagram to explain all this.

My goal in life is to have the time to finally study and understand math; and remember it. The remembering is the big problem. I have a huge Fundamentals of Mathematics book which I must I have studied all the way through since I have notes on every page. But don't ask me how much I remember; I would just start crying.

But I do love math - and movies, so my website pick today is a movie site. Not a picture movie site but a reading one:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/

Film School Rejects says of itself:

Film School Rejects is the movie blog you've been waiting for. The ultimate commentary track on what's happening in Hollywood, FSR combines the freshest voices on the web and a swagger all its own to provide the best reviews, interviews and industry news coverage to millions of unique visitors from around the world every month.

OK, so maybe there's some hyperboles in that quote but you get some very good critical writing at FSR. I may not always agree with the reviews but they are well thought out and presented. And, what's so important is that these guys/gals know film construction. I might grouse about the length of the "sinking ship" scene in Sherlock Holmes but they know all about tracking shot lengths and explain how things are done in Hollywoodland.

You won't get stuff like: "and the main character was so cute I wanted to take him home" but a real look at the nuts and bolts of film making wrapped in very good expository and narrative writing.

So take a look at FSR; you won't be disappointed.

Final note: I will never agree that Memento is the best film of the decade (The 30 Best Films of the Decade) because I will never sit through this depressing movie again to figure out what I missed.







No comments: