Thursday, September 30, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Knitting Friday - on Thursday

What a first! I got my camera and I took my first (really third) picture of this cotton black sweater. What a choice! Black, which photographs so well! Its a top down sweater done in a simple pattern of four rows of stockinette and one row of *YO, K2tog*. I started with US 8 needles and a cast on of 80 stitches. I worked about 6 rows of seed because it makes an instant buttonhole without making the dreaded buttonhole.

Once I was through the neck border, I changed to US 10.5 and doubled every stitch, excluding the each side 5 seed stitch front border, to 150 stitches. I think I increased even more stitches in the next K row (Row 3) because I wanted to be sure I had enough stitches for the sleeves.

I think you know the drill for this pattern (just look at earlier posts.) It's my typical top-down sweater/pullover/tank top/; you name it.

This is the first sweater I've ever gotten a compliment on. I was knitting and wearing it, and someone said "Did you make that jacket?" It took me a second to realize she was talking to me, probably because I thought I made a sweater, but whatever.

This is one of those sweaters which could get very little use (except that black gets a lot of use just because of the color) since it's not very warm and not very cool. We'll see.

I'm helping a neighbor make a Christmas stocking. I pulled out some I made - four in total - but I don't have an idea as to how I made any of them. This should be an interesting helping project.

Knitty really had nothing in their new fall issue which grabbed me. I'm trying to finish up UFOs and also lose weight for this bar mitzvah. I think the weight loss is going to win.

You'll probably notice that I changed my blog template. I think blue is peaceful and with US elections coming up I don't feel that peaceful.

Got to go and take more pictures; and better pictures. Even I know my first try was pretty lousy. Practice may make perfect.

Happy knitting.




No comments: