Wednesday, September 15, 2010


Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

I was reading the introduction to the ancient Greek section of The Norton Anthology of World Literature (great fast reading while drying your hair - I can get in about two pages) and the anonymous writer described the absolutely unbridgeable chasm between the Greek religious paradigm and the Judeo-Christian one. It's a fantastic, concise, clear explanation of the gods-who-are-fallible system of belief and the god-who-must-be-infallible system.

Reading this, I realized how existential the Greeks were with their gods. This was a completely new thought for me. I have a neighbor in this community who is an archaeologist and is writing a book on the Greek religious system. I wonder what she would think about all this.

So in honor of existentialism (which we all live under but few care to acknowledge) I thought I would, yet again, post a photo website:

http://www.vivapixel.com

Pictures make you think; make you happy; make you sad. There's instant mini-mini movies.

Vivapixel doesn't tell you a lot about itself. It seems to be a place for photo storage; membership is free; and you do get guidelines, like no copyright infringement allowed.

I'll admit that I'm a little in the dark about site navigation here. Click on the above link and you get albums of interesting with many of the slightly white bread variation. (I do love this one, if it's not photo-shopped:)

http://www.vivapixel.com/photo/10966


But once you click one of these ten albums on the home page, you're able to click on "Explore" and enter a world of so many more albums of pictures. This selection get interesting; many are cleverly-captioned and can range from mildly to grossly offensive - be warned.

So whatever you're relationship to photos, whether you like to ponder, chuckle, or just indulge your desire for REM, enter Vivapixel for a very interesting ride.

No comments: