Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

I don't know how long I can type without my middle finger (ah, yes, but there are so many others times to use that little finger, you say.) I was slicing the pineapple earlier and obviously I distracted myself because I just stopped short of lobbing off the little bugger. The bleeding has stopped and a wad of tissue and tape seem to staunch the blood flow. (No, it really wasn't that bad but it sounds better on paper that way.)

No Movie Monday this week because it was a traveling day and by the time I arrived at a place to type, I discovered the garage door mechanism was kaput. Did you know that you really can't just "pull the ceiling rope" and have your door return to the old-fashioned kind? Well, maybe it's only my brand of contractor's work but right now and bag of birdseed and some heavy tools are all that's keeping that baby down. Lowe's is coming tomorrow to replace both door mechanisms. Until then, I'm walking. Which is what I usually do anyway.

The girl went for cheer leading tryouts yesterday - and made the cut (well, everyone who tried out is now a cheer leader); much to the consternation of all. It's every day practice for one hour after school. What a bear! Especially with budget cuts which have eliminated the late bus. OK, all you old folks who grouse: I'm not playing for frills and get off my lawn while you're at it. I get it. But the school won't even provide a bus for which the parents pay. Not to worry though, our NJ gov will not raise taxes on the rich. Take that, you working stiffs!

On to websites. I have three and they are all over the place. First:

http://www.mindmeister.com/23290325/western-philosophy

This site is a thinker. No, I did NOT mean stinker. It's a great site for learning a little or a lot about the philosophies which are the foundation of western thought. Just click any + sign and you will work yourself deeper and deeper into deep thought. For example: click + at Modernity1; then click the + at James (that's Henry's brother, William - I can imagine the sibling rivalry in that house) and get sent to "Pragmatism, There is no concept of absolute truth, etc." which encapsulate James' beliefs. In just a few clicks, you have James-lite.

But next to James' names is a right facing arrow. Click that and you'll be sent to the Wikipedia entry for James - a lot more reading. Now, I know that Wikipedia is democracy in action with its author entries so you have to beware of inaccuracies. This stuff looks good though. And, on a visceral level: a picture of Jimmy Wales (Wikipedia founder) appears in most entries appealing for something or other and he has the most soulful eyes; how could you not trust this guy?

Second pick:

http://www.24flinching.com/word/ Read "About" for this site. It's very interesting.

I once taught a young man who was an ABR student (Adult Basic Reading) and so gifted with his design drawings. I worked with him for a few years and I was proud that he picked up 9 credits at the local community college. But it was his drawings which haunted me. There was so much talent there but a very limited market for it. Life changed for me and I had to move away but I still think about him and hope he's found some outlet for that gift.

OK, the above was a way of telling you that I am a sucker for any sites dealing with design. Take a good look at Sean Kernick site. Read his bio. It's all very interesting and worth the visit.

And finally:

http://www.flipwallpapers.com/

It's frigging wallpaper (the computer, not the wall kind.) It's glitzy. It's gauche. A lot of it is way bad art. And I love it! Once you get the image on a separate site, click again for the "big" picture. Oh, those playing kittens are cute. And that black winged horse. Enjoy it; don't think about it.

See you next on Knitting Friday.

No comments: