Friday, December 3, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Knitting Friday

Well, I guess you can say "Liar, liar. Pants on fire." to me since, though promised, I have no knitting pictures. But they say you can't miss with animals so here's a picture of Miss M. She still isn't full-grown but look at the picture on the left to see all the progress she has made since March of this year.

She is now pounds and pounds of pouncing fun; and still a yarn dog. Why does my knitting fascinate her so?

As to knitting, I've started on a lace Advent calendar scarf, which being an atheist I'm happy to note has no hidden religious messages in it. If you're not familiar with Advent it's the days starting on December 1 which lead up to the Christian Christmas. Kids would get an Advent calendar and on opening each day's little "box" they would get a treat, usually edible.

So with this scarf, you get a pattern a day. The cast-on for the scarf is 87 which will be shawl size if I use large needles. Here's the website:

http://www.von-stroh-zu-gold.de/muster/?p=40

She writes each day's pattern in words and charts and the charts are very, very easy to read. Ravelry already has scores of knitters making it so you can go there for any help you may need.

One of my Needlework groupie (all we need now is to find our own rock and roll band) said she wanted to start making lace and suggested I have a session on it. Which got me thinking that you might like this simple, simple pattern which is so easy for new lace knitters.

Using any weight yarn but with needles which are at least two sizes to big for the weight (for lace, I like US 10), CO 50 stitches.

Row 1: (Mark this side*) K1, *YO, K2tog* K1
Row 2: K

That's it. You get a garter stitch lace which doesn't need blocking. You can add some plain rows before you start your pattern (all knit or all seed) and you can add a few stitches to each side for an edging (in knit or seed.) If you add edge stitches to each row, slip the first stitch as P, and K the last stitch for a nice edge.

But if you just follow the two rows of the pattern with no edging at all, you'll get a nice and easy scarf. *You mark this row so you don't need a counter; every time you see the marker, you work the lace and on the opposite side, you just knit.

I'm making this pattern out of the re-cycled red yarn I mentioned last week which I had knitted into a scarf with a dropped stitch I never saw until a week ago. The yarn has been so worked that it resembles those curly noodles you just add boiling water to. I think the finished product will be wearable but I'll post a picture so you can decide. (FYI: I'm using US 11 on 36 stitches since this yarn is DK weight.)

That's it for today. I want to get my ducks in order and start this lace calendar scarf.

Happy knitting.






No comments: