Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Website Wednesday

Just a few random observations before I get to my pick:

1. Just watched A Few Good Men, again, and I think Cruise is shorter than Nicholson. In the final courtroom scene, they are standing face to fact and I think Nicholson has at least one (if not more) inch on Cruise. And, I still think Cruise is a good actor. As I've said, I like to separate personal belief with onscreen performance, therefore I don't watch Heston because of his NRA stance but because he's always playing Moses.

2. I don't have much of the holiday spirit this year. Oh, I know, it's not my holiday but I think when you mingle in the malls during this time of year, everyone seems artificially high on good will. You don't get that online and that's where I've spent most of my time, and money, this season.

3. If it turns out that Uncle Willy is going to be released from rehab by Christmas Eve, for a last minute present, grab some bulky yarn and large needles and make a knitted top-down 2x2 rib hat. There are a lot of free patterns on the web. OK, here's a quick one:
CO 6 and join (Easiest way: Ch 4 and make ring. Work 6 half-double crochets in ring. Take your DP needles and put one through the stitch on hook and then PU 5 more stitches from the chains and put them on 3 DPNs.
Mark beginning of round and work:
R 1: *Kfb*
R 2 and EOR: K
R: 3 *K1, K1fb* around
R 5: *K2, K1FB* around
R 7: *K3, K1FB*
You see the pattern? Inc. one more K stitch before the K1FB on EOR until you get to the head width (average man and woman about 72 sts with US9 on DK yarn.) Then just *K2, P2* every round. You can make it as long as you like because the ribbing folds up. That's it. Uncle Willy will thank you.


And now a fun, "Ask the Wizard" type website:

http://www.chacha.com/

Here's from their About:
ChaCha is like having a smart friend you can call or text for answers on your cell phone anytime for free! ChaCha works with virtually every provider and allows people with any mobile phone device - from basic flip phones to advanced smart phones - to ask any question in conversational English and receive an accurate answer as a text message in just a few minutes.

So you can interact with ChaCha or.... you can just enjoy reading answers already posted.

Right now, people are discussing the winter solstice and you can read the answers and also read a few short paragraphs on just what it's all about.

Click on Greek Mythology and you'll learn the names of the 12 Olympians and whether there will be a sixth book in the series about Percy Jackson and the Olympians (there will.) Plus there's a neat video re: the 12 Olympians which looks quite accurate.

But instead of me wandering this site, why don't you? I know you'll find many things to catch your interest. Maybe there's even a question you would like answered. Don't forget to bookmark this site, you'll want to go back.

Which reminds me: A cashier at Trader Joes and I were discussing what that expression "Happy as a clam" means. Now there's a question for ChaCha.

Happy holidays to all.




No comments: