Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Movie Monday (No Way! It's Website Wednesday!)

There's an anecdote going around about Obama spying John Boehner's rusty lawn mower and deciding he has to have it. Boehner doesn't want to sell it but finally says: $20. Obama realizing Boehner is driving a hard bargain negotiates the price up to $38 and gives him $40 and says: Keep the change.

Not really funny, even in the hands of a skilled comedian, especially since Obama just worked out a "bipartisan" (Oh, how I've come to hate that word!) compromise to link the continuation of the tax cuts for the wealthy with the extension of unemployment benefits for the jobless. So now the government will not be taxing the wealthy but allowing the hoi-polloi to pay for unemployment benefits. (Tongue in cheek, I say: Sounds fine to me.)

I was telling my husband last night that I may not vote for a President in the 2012 election. Here's my reasoning (and I'm basing this on the Dem candidate being Obama): Obama and many, many Congressional Democrats run away from liberals. They are scared shitless of liberal causes. If I, as a liberal, vote for them, my message is: Hit me again.

Now, without my vote (and, of course, I mean millions of other liberal votes- I don't think elections swing on my vote) if the Democrats retain the White House, the message is clear to them and me: I'm not needed.

But if the Democrats lose the White House when liberals abandon them, we might, just might, get the focus back on liberal issues: public option in health care, taxing wealth, jobs programs, etc.

I'm still fleshing out these thoughts. All I do know, I'm royally pissed - again.

My website pick follows with my theme:

http://www.bestoftheblogs.com/Home/

This calls itself a compilation of the best of liberal blogs. You can link your blog to this site if you wish.

The reason I chose this website is because there is a good analysis of Obama's latest "bipartisan" effort on tax cuts. Though I'm opposed to this compromise, you get both sides of the issue here. Not conservative vs. liberal side but liberal vs. liberal side. Which is what inflicts the greatest damage on the liberal cause: liberals are able to debate an issue from many sides. It makes us look weak especially if we start apologizing.

Best of the Blogs discusses all sorts of issues; there's some very good thinking stuff on this blog. And, don't we all believe that it's about time Americans turn off their "reality" shows and start thinking.

Enjoy.

No comments: