Monday, December 13, 2010

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings

Movie Monday
- some oldies

OK, there was no Knitting Friday because, well, I was knitting - and traveling. I've finished my Super Mario pillow and I'm on Day 4 of the Lace Advent Scarf, which is now posting the pattern for Day 13 - do I have to play catch-up fast!

This is going to a be another traveling day and I have to start packing so I'm going to make this short. (Hooray, you say.)

This weekend, I got to see some oldies which I want to recommend:

1. Intolerance by D.W. Griffith
Griffith is the founding father of directors who worked at the beginning of the movie world. We're talking 1916! Griffith is best known for Birth of a Nation and Intolerance was his first movie after that one. It interweaves intolerance throughout the ages starting from ancient times with a modern tale of thwarted love. By today's standards, the acting has its share of ham but the brilliance of Griffith shines through and you can see, this early what future lay ahead for movies. (Of course, this was before the large studios brought creativity in line with profits.) If you're even slightly interested in film, you've got to see Intolerance. It' s available at Amazon or "free" occasionally on TCM.

2. Sweet Smell of Success starring Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis
You have two old-fashioned stars here in a gritty, NYC drama of the underbelly of a successful newspaper columnist. (Lancaster) It's 1957, when newspapers still ruled. Lancaster is as dirty and ruthless as they come. Aided by his equally sleazy assistant (Curtis), they gather "dirt" on all enemies. And for Lancaster, if you're not with him; you're an enemy. The plot revolves around Lancaster's sister's (to whom he is obsessively devoted) new love and his attempt to quash any romance. It's late noir with stars who made their bones on dreary costume dramas. But playing against type (or rather against the type Hollywood thought profitable for stars), they deliver a gritty drama which still resonates today. While you watch it, remember that the 1950's were the last stand of old Hollywood to retain their power and an decade of lavish costume dramas and drippy romances. This one is so different. (My only complaint is the jazz score. I never like jazz scores and I think they can take down the best movies. Now if they used blues.... that would be a different story.)

3. I attempted Lawrence of Arabia (Peter O'Toole as Lawrence) again yesterday and I still can't get through it. I know, I've read all the hype. (Did this one win BP? I could have; Hollywood just loves grandeur. ) I know this is supposed to be a masterpiece. But it's soooo long and acty. (Well, that's a word I think I just made up.) Watching this movie I know I'm watching a movie and I'm not sucked in and I am soooo bored. To twist what Elaine from Seinfeld said about The English Patient: So die already! If you like Peter O'Toole as an actor (and I do), watch My Favorite Year. Now that's a good movie.

That's it for today. See you Wednesday.


No comments: