Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Website Wednesday


I added a line to my banner after I got an e-mail deriding how bad the USA was because it gives foreign aid (I think Haiti was mentioned) and yet talks about cutting Medicare and Social Security. I get stuff like this pretty regularly and I don't respond unless they link to a pseudo historian whose "facts" are just drivel. But the main theme with all these e-mails is: the government is being mean to me. Of course, the sub rosa message is: give me what I want now and remember not to raise taxes.

So I thought I would just add those three words which really say: Hey, you jerks! In a representative government you need tax money for programs and then it's part of your responsibility to see that this money doesn't work its way into corrupt practices. Governments need your participation; not your complaints. Of course, all that wouldn't fit. (Sorry, I’m a little worked up. I just re-read the section of the History of the Peloponnesian War where Thucydides lists the characteristics of an Athenian citizen. In these times, it’s worth a look.)

On to a really fun site this Wednesday:

http://www.budget101.com/frugal/copycat-clone-recipes-163/


As I wait for the dawn so I can see the ice field this latest blizzard has brought, I thought of food. Here's a site which takes popular restaurant items and lets you make them at home. Who can forget Cracker Barrel's biscuits? (Well, to be honest, I try to forget my two visits to Cracker Barrel.) The recipe here is quite simple (mix, buttermilk, a little sugar, a little butter) and really does look kitchen-friendly. (I hate those restaurant recipes which has you trekking to Cambodia which is the only place in the world with the needed ingredient.)

On the other side, Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia I.C. calls for 2 raw eggs which only seem to get frozen, not heated. I'll pass on that.

I do like the Carnation Breakfast Bars though; in fact all the breakfast bars, and I can see adding healthy stuff to give the kids their nutrients without a fight.

They have Chick Fila chicken sandwiches and salad. (Yes, I am mad at them and won't eat there [anti-gay] but I'm a whore when it comes to recipes.) They have the Bisquick copy cat (can you say "lard in a box.") They have Crunch and Munch. You can see a pattern of high fat here; but remember I'm living in what has been hyped as the worst blizzard in the history of mankind. I need comfort.

Looking through my notes, I see that Budget 101 was a pick in 2009. This time, you can just stop at the above page or hit "Home." This site is still worth many visits.

My second choice:

http://constitutioncenter.org/FoundersQuiz/

called to me after endlessly hearing that the USA should go back to the Constitution as the framers wrote it. Oh, no we shouldn't! Putting aside the obvious problem with the original document (inclusion and acceptance of slavery) this was a document written by the enlightened rich for the enlightened rich. It has evolved into a much more egalitarian document over the years. Many of the people berating the present day interpretation of the Constitution would probably be shocked to discover the founders weren't even considering them as "players" when they drafted the document.

That stated, take the test at the Constitution Center and find out what founder you are closest to in thinking. Me and Madison are buds. Once you discover your founding father BFF, go to:

http://ratify.constitutioncenter.org/constitution/index_no_flash.php

for an annotated stroll through the U.S. Constitution. Plug in keyword, topic or Supreme Court case and you'll be taken to the relevant part of the constitution. Click on the top banner of Constitution sections and you'll be taken there with a a section interpretation from the book, The Words We Live By by Linda Monk. (I checked this book on Amazon because I didn't want to recommend a right-wing screed. The two negative reviews - 1 star - were from right-wingers. Plus, I felt Monk's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: The American Revolution was fought by minutemen, ready with their guns at a moment’s notice. Early Americans believed that a militia, composed of citizen-soldiers, was a better safeguard of their liberties than a standing or permanent army. Today the militia consists of the National Guard, drilling in state units. Does the Second Amendment protect only the right of the states to have militias, or does it give individuals a right to bear arms for self-defense as well as national defense? That question is at the heart of the debate over the Second Amendment and gun control. was quite reasoned. I have no trouble recommending this site or the Monk book.

So, if you're home in a blizzard, or just home and adventurous; try a "Copy Cat" recipe from Budget 101 and then brush up on the U.S. Constitution. It wouldn't hurt. I see Crunch and Munch or Cracker Barrel biscuits as part of my "fun with the kids" day which lies ahead.

Happy eating and reading.




No comments: