Monday, February 7, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Movie Monday

A fast blog, not at all what I planned to write, because I have to head over to our manager's office and print and prepare the newsletter in about 15 minutes.

Quick side stop: I didn't see the AOL/Huffington Post merger coming but the site had become more and more tabloid over the year, less and less hard-nose liberal, so I'm not surprised. Unfortunately, I well remember the AOL/Times Warner merger disaster of about 10 years. TLOTR first film, TFOTR, has that merger proudly listed in the credits. By TROTK, it was history.

Try and watch: How To Be. It's a small indie about a 20-something wanna-be musician who has big issues with parents and life in general. It has such a "real" feel to it. I only got to see the last hour of this movie (Sundance Channel) but even being plunked right into the middle of the drama, I got it right away. Scenes showed the knowing hands of director, editor, screenwriter and actors. Watch the barroom confrontation. It starts, escalates and ends with realism. It's a one-sided pissing contest, not Hollywood style with the "hero" flooring all the bar patrons, but real-life style. This is a troubled guy, he walks into the scene that way and leaves the same.

Want to know why I'm recommending this movie? First, it's worth the watch. Second, the star is Robert Pattinson! Not the Pattinson of Twilight, but a Pattinson who has all the makings of a very good actor. Here, you are never watching Edward; in fact, I had to click the guide blurb to realize I was even watching Pattinson.

Whether Pattinson will be forced into a Brad Pitt/George Clooney stardom after Twilight ends, I don't know. The movie PR machine could definitely steer him that way and the movie public might never accept him unless he makes star movies. That would be such a waste of an emerging talent.

Got to go. Want to write more, but no time. Maybe later.

No comments: