Friday, August 5, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich


Knitting Friday - and where have I been?

Almost a month since my last posting. A lot of guilt but no energy to post. It's a long summer with the kids, who are very good, but the school day is an unspoken covenant between education officials and parents: give us your kids for our bureaucracy and we'll give you 5 days a week. Summer changes that.

Also, I'm pretty depressed because almost 4 years ago, I helped to elect Obama for not the least selfish reason being that a McCain/Palin election would have had me researching Canadian citizenship. Now, I'm almost 4 years older and I may be having to start that research.

I never thought we were electing H. Rap Brown with Obama though his stump speeches had some of the passion of the '60 black leaders. However, I never, ever thought we would wind up with Clarence Thomas. (OK, OK, I know Thomas is just an angry, small man; but what a waste of promise with Obama.)

I have been knitting though. I have a closetful of sleeveless, open weave summer tops to wear over camisoles. I'm working on a shawl design which is think is unique. It can be knitted or crocheted so that the shape is almost rectangular but the top curves to stay on your shoulders. I discovered the design by one of those famous "what ifs" of history. I just tweaked the increases on a simple shawl and amazingly I had the shape. Right now, I've only made these shawls in my typical *YO, K2tog* pattern variations or in *ch 5, join with sc* variations. I want to stretch my patterns a bit before I post anything. But it's sooooo simple. Like socks first, then shoes.

I'll leave you with this pattern to ponder:

http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/WebLetter/202/Issue202.php

Yes, it's a shawl but take a look at the Japanese Feather stitch pattern. It's 11 stitches on 28 rows and I like it because it has two sections of resting rows (just stockinette) which makes it easy to bind off and on for armholes. I'm thinking about using just this pattern in a top -down pullover or cardigan. What do you think?

Happy knitting.





No comments: