Monday, August 22, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Movie Monday

I'm thinking about taking the summers off from blogging. The days are really just too hectic and I'm just too lazy.

Before I get to my movie(s) pick, here's a comment from Eric on Deus ex Malcontent. He's talking about Steve Jobs but it's a fantastic generic answer to all the rich and wanta-be rich who bitch about paying taxes:

Even so, it is morally right that Jobs ought to pay higher taxes. Sure, he's earned his money; but this is something he was able to do because he received the benefits that go along with living in a stable, functioning republic in which there are good roads, an educated and mostly healthy public, and little chance of a revolution or invasion. He has benefited more than most people from the civilization he inhabits, and he had more to lose than most people and he has more to lose if it all goes to hell.

But instead of holding up a mirror to those-who-can-pay when it comes to their contributing to the general welfare, we get cute pictures of the Obamas on a date night.

Jesus H. Christ! We're hemorrhaging here, folks.

C-Span had an author talking about the fact that the "culture" centers DC, (He obviously has never gotten off the tourist roads in DC if he's calling it that), NYC, etc., have bounced back better economically than the rest of the country so our political and financial gurus really don't get what the heartland is experiencing.

But enough of my general grousing, let me get to the movies and my cinematic grousing. Remember I reviewed The Tourist and didn't find it as ghastly as the rest of the world? Well, I still think it's watchable (unlike The Road which is vastly superior movie but I still can't sit through what I will call the "shoes" scene.)

Then I caught Anthony Zimmer last Saturday afternoon on my movie package. What a title! Folks, Anthony Zimmer here and I have a set a knives for you which are sure to become your culinary favorites.

Anthony Zimmer (2005) pre-dates The Tourist (2010.) and both visit the same plot. So now I find out that The Tourist is another Hollywood knock-off. AZ is in French and it's with people who can act reading dialogue that sounds real.

Watching the passionate make-out scene at the end of AZ, I realized that Jolie and Depp couldn't pull this scene off at this stage in their careers. They have both become plastic icons way beyond playing the nitty-gritty roles that were so promising for them earlier on.

No feature film is real but good ones give you that empathy lifeline which is so necessary between the movie and its audience.

Take a look at Anthony Zimmer. As you know, I'm fascinated by the pull of foreign films on me. Unfortunately, I see the metaphorically significance in all this: It's just another example of America's proclivity for dross. What a pity.

No comments: