Friday, October 14, 2011


Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

This has been a week of finishing knitting projects. Three shells are done and three shawls. It's so bad that I have a brief trip in a week with no substantial bring-along knitting.

This a.m., I pulled the weed whacker cord (excellent for blocking crescent shaped/round shawls) from my white wool crescent shawl (see 9/16/11 post for the pattern) which measures 100" x 32". That is one big mother! I was always planning on wearing it as a very large open scarf since with make-up (including lipstick) no way can I wrap a white shawl around my face as I do with my dead-of-winter shawls.

Right now, I'm soaking the knitted crescent shawl I talked about on 9/23/11. However, from then till now, a lot has changed.

First, I learned that P3tog can get tricky with lace yarn and no lace needles. P2togs, K2tog, seem to work OK, but that extra stitch w/o lace needles can prove a disaster. And an disaster is what happened. I was tooling along with my trinity stitch (*P3tog, K-P-K in one stitch*) happy as a lark until I did a look-see and saw and one of the stitches in the P3tog running free, many rows down.

Bad news: I sent the shawl to the frog pond. Good news: I ordered three Chiagoo Red Lace needles in US 6, 8 and 10. (Side note: I've read a lot about lace needles on Ravelry and the consensus seems to be that Chiagoo lace needles are the pointiest. But if you want Chiagoo lace, make sure it's the Red Lace needles, not the Red needles.)

So there I was with two skeins of Knit Pick lace in a variegated green and no pattern. I stumbled on a Vogue shawl pattern which was only a basic pattern I use all the time. Three rows of K and one row of *YO, K2tog*. I usually make my shells with this pattern but I thought: The picture is pretty. Why don't I try this as a shawl?

I started my ubiquitous crescent shaped shawl but, wouldn't you know it, pretty soon I noticed a free roaming slipped stitch about 4 rows down. I did a lot of grumbling but finally decided to visit the frog pond again with this yarn.

And then the miracle happened. With all the stitches pulled from the needle and my hand ready to start ripping, I put the shawl on my shoulders and looked in the mirror. Talk about a last minute reprieve! This simple pattern looked great! Here's a picture of it, early on in the knitting. It was not much to look at then and even soaking right now, I can't imagine what size I'm going to get. However, no way did I ever expect that white shawl to get so huge.

I decided to block first and then add a border of crab stitch. I'll let you know how that works.

Right now, I'm waiting for a weather change so I can wear some of these beauties. I sorted my winter clothes from summer about two weeks ago but the weather didn't get the hint. I find I never have the right outerwear for that short period when spring just hasn't moved into summer or fall hasn't gotten the memo to let winter in. My dream is to find the perfect spring and fall coats that look hot with shawls. Maybe I should go shopping.........

Happy knitting.









No comments: