Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Website Wednesday

Owing to the fact that two, obscenely monster-large hospital complexes are almost completed in my area. (Screw you, America for thinking health costs will be controlled, love, the medical - pharmaceutical industry.) Add to this the fact that I must visit my MD tomorrow for a semi-annual BP check-up. (I despise going to MDs!) My mood is rather foul.

So, I thought: What better website pick than one on fashion.

Now, I like fashion. I'm not a slave to fashion and things like In Style magazine which I started reading when it really had some good fashion tips and stopped reading when it became a showcase for red carpet events throughout the world really piss me off. I love Joe Zee from Elle and his show All On The Line. He's helped me think "out of the box" in my approach to knitting. But I don't need fashion leaders telling me (especially in a worldwide recession) that pink is the new black. No, pink is pink and like all vibrant colors, it tires you quickly. Good for the fashion business; not good for the consumer dollar.

Then I started a google search for fashion sites. Wow! That was an eye-opener. Almost all the sites were hyping designers and expensive trends. What's with these new high heeled shoe? Are women really supposed to wear those things with their 5 inch stiletto heels? Orthopedists and cobblers must be ecstatic.

After a long search, I wound up with a very old stand-by, Glamour magazine:

http://www.glamour.com/

Now, Glamour is also in business to get the consumer to buy into fashion trends but their articles are much more sensible. For example on the shoe question: the article, 10 Shoes Every Woman Should Own, does recommend the wacky high heels but also it suggests flats, boots and sneakers.

The site is full of sensible fashion articles like: Are You An Over-Powderer?, one on healthy afternoon snacks, and Women In Tech: We Really Do Need More.

Of course, you're not getting articles written for Nature or Science nor are many of the topics more than fluff. But there's a lot there for a fast read and/or a fun read. For example, the article on women in tech gives mini bios of tech women and their accomplishments and the healthy snacks piece comes with doable recipes. (Note: Some of the ingredients look pretty exotic but they may be mundane to Glamour readers.)

So go and read about some fashion and don't forget to scroll down to Visit our sister sites. That must be one wacky family! Enjoy.




No comments: