Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Website Wednesday
 
OK, I survived the dentist. Once again, I grew more bone than needed (it covered the implant) so he had to chip away. Lovely.
 
Have to be up and out early this am; plus I spent the evening ripping out the yellow sweater I was making (Why did I ever decide to add sleeves? More on this Friday.) so I'm in an "awake, moving and jumpy" mode. Let's get going!
 
 
The Partially Examined Life also has a blog (click Home or Blog) but I've been fixated on these philosophy podcasts.  It's three guys with philosophy degrees who discuss a whole bunch of philosophers and their theories. 
 
Sounds stuffy? It is definitely not stuffy.
 
Scroll down the page for the entire podcast selection. I've gone through Descartes and Freud, while knitting, of course. The podcasters are informed and amusing communicators. You really can't go wrong here. It's a good way to pleasurably discover the panoply of philosophies which helped shaped Western society for better or worse. In fact, I'm so engrossed in this stuff, after hearing the podcast on Freud's Civilization and Discontents, I downloaded a free online course on the subject. I am psyched! P.S. They also discuss MLK, DuBois, Cornell West, and No Country for Old Men. These guys are cool.
 
And also, there's:

 
Plan 59.com. And just what were Plans 1 through 58?
 
You knew I wouldn't leave you without a picture site. You get all sorts of ads from the 1950s here when everyone was so well-dressed and white. Don't forget to click on More on the bottom of each page for a greater glimpse of a long-ago age which, unfortunately, is still very comfortable to an influential segment of the US population. I could do a PhD thesis from these pages alone. They are a treasure trove (never used that phrase before, I'm sure) of social history. Take a look at the people at fun and the people at business. Notice the expressions never changes and I challenge you to find a piece of litter. Can you imagine living in such a stilted society? This may be Mormon heaven on earth!
 
Be sure to click everything at Plan 59; like on their Home page, click Enter for more amazing ads from the time in the USA when people of color were the invisible men. You can also look at their blog page but it's not up-to-date.

Gotta go. Enjoy.


 
  

No comments: