Friday, October 19, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
A quick update on my diet: It's working. I'm in my second month now and I see results. I joke with my dentist that I'm going to publish a diet book to pay for my dental work (no insurance.) Maybe next Friday I'm get all my diet thoughts today and tell you what's working for me since I know I'm always interested in what's working for others.
 
I don't think that people awaken some mornings and mutter: I think I'll be a jerk today. But I must have yesterday. Pushkin, in The Queen of Spades ends his tale with main character, Hermann, (I can't call him a hero) betting on cards he only imagines he has in his hand. (He sees an ace, but it isn't there.)
 
#1 The imaginary mistake
I did the same yesterday with this sweater. You can see that it's lacking needles. That's because I had just counted the middle band of stockinette (just under the armhole) and found 6 rows instead of 5.  So I tinked back to there, removed one row of stockinette, started the lace section and discovered I now had only 4 rows of stockinette. Like Hermann, I had seen something that wasn't there.
 
Right now, my progress matches the picture again. It just took me all evening to get there. What a jerk!
 
Here's the pattern I'm using if you're interested. I'll just give you what I did for my size but, if you've been following Knitting Friday, you'll know how to modify for your size.
 
A Slight Variation on My Ubiquitous Top
US 8 needles and DK yarn (It's Paton Classic Wool, 2 skeins - 400+ yards)
1. CO 70 sts, join and work 1.5" in seed st. 
2. Next row: Double your stitches by Kfb each stitch across.Change to US 10.5 needles.
3. Start your pattern of two sections. 
Section 1: 
Row 1: *YO, K2tog*  
Row 2: *K* 
Work for 9 rows so you will be ending after a Row 1.
Section 2
Row 1 - 5: K
4. Continue working the pattern sections. You want to reach the bind-off row for the armhole just after Row 9 of Section 1 (*YO, K2tog*). So you may want to modify the number of rows in each section. Just be sure, Section 1 (the lace) is larger than Section 2.
4. At armhole: Using an elastic bind off (see KF, 9/21/12), work Row 1 of Section 2 by knitting across 40 front stitches, binding off 30 stitches for the underarm, knitting across 40 back stitches and binding off 30 stitches for the underarm.
5. On the next row, K across and at each armhole: CO 12 stitches. (104 stitches for the body)
6. Be sure to fix any holes you find at the underarms. (See KF from 9/21/12 for hints.)
7. Continue to work in pattern to length minus your bottom hem.
8, For the hem: you can bind off after Row 9 of Section 1 and add a crocheted hem. Or, change to US 8 needles and work a hem of twisted rib: *K1 back loop, P1* across.

That's it. Easy Peasy. Oh, and use a row counter in spite of the fact that this is a very easy pattern to count from the wrong side. Easy, that is, to everyone but me.
 
Not much else on the knitting front since I have four sweater works-in-progress (WIP) and, while new frontiers are calling, I do want to finish them.
 
One new frontier which is calling is: 
 
 
It's a crocheted Flared Shoulder Wrap which starts a row with single crochet and you work across the row in different stitches. I'm very excited about this pattern and see a lot of variations. I'll report my progress (if any) next Friday.
 
Before I go for today, a housekeeping note: I use different computers when I write this blog and if you scroll through the postings you'll see that the font size changes, and changes, and changes........even though I use the same size font each time. So that a Normal font on this computer is a teeny-tiny one or a large font on another computer. This is not a WYSIWYG.
 
Hope this is not inconvenient for you to read. I really don't know how to fix this and, as you know, I shudder to make changes after a posting since everything else gets so wonky. Ah, the mysteries of the internet!

See you next Friday. Happy Knitting.


 

No comments: