Friday, October 12, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
#Before tinking
 Well, I guess it could be worse. The sweater on the left from last week has been tinked to before the armholes. What did I learn: When you are adding sleeves, be sure to make the yoke deep enough. As you know, I usually make sleeveless pullovers and wear them in cotton in the summer over camis and in wool in the winter over long sleeved tees or blouses. (Interesting aside: you can get a lot of very good bargains on winter outwear in small sizes. However, if you wear a long sleeved sweater with them they are much too tight. Wear a wool sleeveless pullover over a long sleeved tee instead and you can save a lot of money in outerwear.) 
 
The yellow pullover above is in wool for winter but I made the yoke width about 5.5 inches. OK, for summer wear when you don't have sleeves. If you're adding sleeves, you should go about 7 to 8 inches before you bind off for the armholes. Notice in the picture above that the sleeve is awkwardly attached to the body.

For some reason, I didn't see that until I tried on the almost finished sweater (I must have had love blinders on!) The sleeves were wide enough and the body was wide enough but the sleeve was set so awkwardly it pulled the entire bode section out of kilter. I felt like I was wearing my first knitted sweater all over again. In its new reincarnation, this top will be just another sleeveless pullover in the toke stitch. 
 
 Scarf Modifications:
 
First, if you want to make the 2011 Advent Calendar Scarf, go to:
 
 
and scroll down for the pattern. You may want to make copies of the patterns soon since Wolkistchen (her Ravelry name) has announced an Advent Scarf for 2012 and she may take down the 2011 one.
 
#2 2011 Modified Advent Scarf 
Last Friday, I showed a scarf which was developing from my pattern stitch swatches and mused about using better yarn and making a Pattern Swatch Scarf. I mentioned that I had made the 2011 Advent Calendar Scarf/Shawl in different patterns but also I had used 56 to 58 stitches for the patterns, not the recommended 90+ stitches.

On the right (#3), you can see one of the patterns used (you work 4 rows of garter between each pattern) and you can see two stitches on the right side (and on the left but you can't see that) which I added to make the stitch count right.

On the left (#3), is another pattern with extra border stitches. 

#3 2011 AS another border stitch
I just found my notes from this project (I can't believe I was that organized) and I start out writing: At this point, only Day 6 is problematic since with the original pattern you need 59 sts (the most so far.) I listed all the days I was working. It looks like I worked 15 days, not becomes of problems with modifications but because it was getting too long - 96".

I must have first gone through all the patterns I was using and marked off the pattern repeat sections and worked out a list:
Day 1: 13 st rep, 56 sts CO
Day 4: 8 st rep + 4 + 4, 56 st CO, Eliminate 1st K st in the patt.
Day 6: 14 st rep + 17; 59 sts (or three 14 st patt repeats [42 sts] + 6 twist sts [12 sts] = 54 sts CO)
 
The list goes on but you can see that I worked out Day 6 which was originally a problem.
 
While I doubt, even with these notes, I could sail through making this modified scarf again, I do get the whole modification concept now and probably could work myself back into the particulars.
 
From the pictures above, it looks like I used two different types of extra border stitches but my notes say I used the twisted stitch. Now, the twisted stitch in usually just knitting in the back loop of the stitch. Not here, it isn't. Unbelievably on Day 18, I wrote:
 
TS = twisted st: K 2nd st on needle in BL (back loop) then K 1st st in FL (front loop)
 
So every twisted stitch in this pattern is really two stitches each side. I guess I was OK with at least extra 4 stitches in some patterns but if you only wanted to add 1 extra stitch each side (= 2 total) you could work a single, lonely seed stitch up the edging.
 
The bottom line is: You can drastically modify a scarf or shawl pattern if it has no increases or decreases. You just have to work out your game plan ahead. One more thing: Don't skimp on the edge stitches on a scarf. This Advent Scarf used an edging of only 3 K sts. Way not enough to prevent curling.

#4 Crocheted neck band
And finally: Every time I knit with black yarn, I say: never again. Of course, then I proceed to knit with black yarn. What you see on the left is a crocheted neck band which started life as a cardigan. But after only 2", I had made so many mistakes (lace in black is not fun) that I frogged the whole thing.

But I like the concept of crocheting the neck band, so: 
1. Leaving a long tail, with DK yarn and an I hook, chain 6. 
2. Using the last chain as a chain one, turn and work 5 single crochets (sc) into each chain across. 
3. *Turn. Chain 1 and work 5 sc across.* 
4. Work *...* to your desired length. 
5. Once there, turn and using the needle size you'll be using in your garment, pick up x number to stitches (I usually get 70 to 80 stitches.)
6. Join and add a marker.
7. Working only from the right side now, increase the number of stitches you want for your yoke. (I go from 140 to 160 depending on yarn used and needle size.)
8. Then just work your top-down pattern as usual.
9. Use the long tail of yarn to join the collar. (Or you could leave it and join it with an attractive button.)
10. This joining point will be the right or left side of your neckband.

Next week, I'll post a picture of this top. It's in stockinette this time. See you then. Happy knitting.




 
 

No comments: