Monday, October 8, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Movie Monday - The Adventures of Tintin (a mini review)
 
I go to the dentist in a few hours so I'll use that for an excuse to rush. Big day, my gums get cut open and the titanium rod gets added. Really looking forward to this!
 
Usually, I might discuss politics on Mondays or Wednesdays but I didn't see the first presidential debate (not that this would stop me). DH did and said Obama blew it and Romney lied. Not too surprisingly since they kept intoning that Romney was going to be terrible that he just had to appear in a good suit to win. (Like getting 200 points for just putting your name on your SAT.) 
 
Whatever. I'm voting for Obama, the lesser of two evils since he is much more the protector of capitalism as we practice it here in the USA than a progressive leader concerned about social and economic ills. However, Romney would just be a catastrophe because he and his party reside and pontificate from an alternative reality rather than where the vast majority of mankind lives. Though, until we modify the brand of capitalism practiced in the US and use its profits for social good, I give the future very modest hope A stupid, greedy giant is the worst elephant in the room and that is what we are.
 
And moving from those cheery thoughts to movies ----- what the hell is happening to my movie package? Talk about dross leading dross. This week, I had the choice of reviewing The Muppets or V/H/S. I took an instant pass on The Muppets since I have seen way too many Muppet opuses to sit through another.
 
V/H/S was part of the HD Net channel's sneak previews before they hits the theaters. I only lasted a few minutes on this one. Could it be that I'm just too jaded to sit through another mindless blood soaked horror flick? Directed like the documentary style of The Blair Witch Project, a group of young people are paid to break into a deserted house to retrieve a valuable VHS tape. Soon they are wandering the house and watching disturbing videos as they go from room to room. When I say "disturbing" I mean that the one I popped in on, turned to blood gushing horror in seconds.  Box Office Mojo says V/H/S made $40,000 on its opening weekend. Case closed.
 
Then, just this morning (what is it with these finds in the wee hours of Monday morning?) I discovered we were getting the Epix channel as a freebie. And I got to see the end of The Adventures of Tintin. The positive: I loved the cute, white Scottish terrier; but I'm a sucker for dogs. The negatives: There was so, so much CGI tear-up-the-scenery action and violence. This time everything was performed by CGI characters such as Gollum was (Peter Jackson produced) except this time they were not ugly as he was - and wore more clothes.
 
Now The Adventures of Tintin is probably perfect for the kiddies but I'm getting a little tired of CGI action and violence just because you can push the envelope. Fellas, just because you can, doesn't mean you have to: More and bigger is not always better. Of course, Tintin made almost $400M so who cares what I say? However, if you read the "Hated it" comments on IMDb user reviews, it's not just passing criticism but there is a very deep dislike of the movie in these reviews..
 
But I'm going to leave you with a great movie link and promise for next week.  First the link:
 
 
Click and get 500 films which Empire Online says are "the greatest movies of all time." Believe that or not, it's a fantastic list of movies. Click the "read more" below each mini review and you get a complete review by an Empire writer with a neat, short "Verdict" summary at its end. Plus, scroll further down the page to read other reviews by "real people.". You'll be busy for hours, days, months........(This link should definitely make up for my paltry reviews today.)
 
And the promise? As I type, I'm taping two movies for next week. One is a classic vampire flick (no, not Lugosi, but so appropriate for the Halloween month) and the other is a before-its-time noir. So, if nothing appears worthwhile in my movie package this week, I'm still prepared.
 
That's it for today. Got to start thinking: dentist, drill, oh, no! See you next Monday.
 

No comments: