Friday, March 8, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
Not wanting to forget, let's start with Knitty's Ice Queen cowl at:
 

Here's the picture from last week where I took that pattern and made it into a scarf:

#1 Ice Queen as a scarf
I promised the how-to's for this Friday, so here they are:

What I did as shown:
1. I worked the scarf in stockinette (K RS, P WS.)
2. I started with a Picot Cast-On (easy to google.)
3. I then worked 2 rows in K.
3. After that, for each row, I worked 2 K stitches each side and 1 stockinette
ES so it would look like this: 2 K edge, 1 st st - pattern - 1 st st - 2 K edge stitches.
4. I worked the pattern for Chart B starting on Row 1 at stitch 4 and ended with stitch 21, (That way, I eliminated the 2 decrease stitches and kept the stitch count even. Pattern stitch count is 19 as I did it.)
5.Using only stitches 4 through 21, I worked Chart B in repeats of Row 1 through Row 16.
6. As a raveler suggested, I used nupps instead of beads (the B).

What you should do (what my sample swatch doesn't show.):
1. Follow the pattern directions and make a provisional cast-on.
2. Start my directions with #3.
3. When you have reached your length, end on Row 1 (YO, SSK, K2tog but no nupps.)
4. K 2 rows.
5. Work a picot bind off.
6. Remove your provisional CO and work a picot bind off.
7. This will give you the "sculptured" end you see in pic #1 on both ends.

Ice Queen is a lovely pattern and if I looked good in cowl/hats I would love to make it as written. But this way I get a lovely Ice Queen scarf. If you want to make your scarf wider work it as:
2 K edge stitches, 1 st st, *pattern (19 sts), 1 st st* across, end 2 knit edge stitches.

#2 Sampler lace scarf
OK, some other stuff. On the left and right are my sampler lace scarf, all done. It's 105" long and 11" width.  I only made one mistake on all the patterns and that's in the middle of the scarf so no worry. 
#3 One end

I used 4 balls of KP fingering which were left over from other projects. Different hues, but the families were close. Since I made a list of all the patterns as I knitted them, if I don't lose the list, I'll know which ones I want to make again. Any bets on my losing this list?

And finally, if you're under stress, crochet lace in a simple pattern. Don't knit it because frogging will just lead to more stress. You need concentration with type of crochet, but you'll get just enough, not too much. In picture #4 is:


#4 Summer Mesh shawl
This is a Lion Brand pattern so you must do a free registration but it's worth the bother. Summer Mesh is a two row pattern with little picots throughout. That big yarn wad on the left shows me that this side is Row 2 and the red strands on the end mark the last stitch. However, that may be overkill. This is the second crocheted shawl I'm working on. (Pics of the first next week.) I don't like summer camis without a little cover-up and since jackets/sweaters are too warm and I've never really understood the shrug, I like these cotton thread shawls. Just enough cover-up and plenty of cool.

That's it for this week. Happy Knitting. See you next week.



No comments: