Friday, March 1, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings 
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
I had to go out early on Wednesday and needed a sturdy shawl over a blazer. Didn't have one. Which led me to:
 
 
OK, it starts with a cast on of 420 stitches but some one on Ravelry modified that to 300+. I'm thinking about one in a light beige wool, larger needles and a smaller cast on. I like the pattern and you decrease to the top so your stitch count goes down. Every once and a while I think: I really do need a "grab and run" warm cover-up. This may be the one. Maybe, more on this later.
 
Picture #1 is a wool crocheted shawl that I finally blocked. Not much warmth, but pretty.
 
#2  Blocked 3-Triangle
I
I finally blocked my wool Three Triangle Shawl (#2):
 
 
(sorry this is a Ravelry link so you must join to view but some many designers are posting there)

It got so long even though I didn't stretch it. It's a great indoor shawl.
 
Remember last Friday I told you about placing a garter ridge between patterns in a sampler scarf. Here's an example of what I mean:

In pic #3, you get the whole sample. T
#3 Garter ridges in white

he white shows the garter ridges and the blue is the pattern.
 
#4 A lot of stockinette
  In order to make two garter ridges (each row looks like a purl row on the RS), you have to knit 4 rows. That becomes problematic when one of the patterns you're "connecting" ends or begins in stockinette. Take a look at pic #4. The pattern in blue at the bottom is: Row 1: *YO, K2tog*; Row 2: *YO P2tog*: Row 3: K; Row 4 P. So rows 3 and 4 produce stockinette, If you follow this by a garter ridge, (K four rows), that first row is another K which gives you more stockinette than you need (#4). Here's what it should look like in pic #5; no extra stockinette before the garter ridge.
#5 Good stockinette
There are a few ways to eliminate the excess st st in #4 so it looks like pic #5. Here are two I use: 1) On the 4th row of the lace pattern which is on the WS, work it as a K row. That will give you your first garter ridge on the RS. K one row on the RS (gives you a smooth RS row) and then K one row on the WS (which will give you your second garter ridge on the RS.) You're now ready to work on the RS, so just start your new pattern even though you have only worked 3 rows for your garter ridge. 2) If you want to finish your lace pattern as usual. Start your garter ridge as P one row on the RS (first garter ridge on RS), P one on the WS (smooth K row shows up on the RS), P one on the RS (second garter ridge) then P one row on the WS (smooth K row shows up on the RS). You're doing the reverse stockinette stitch
 
I know this may sound confusing but just practice a few times and remember you just want to make two purl rows (garter ridges) on the RS. It really doesn't matter how you get there. I would rather fudge around to get the results in #4 than be a purist and work the pattern as written and get the results in #3. (P.S. This problem was a hot topic recently on Ravelry.) Note: It looks better if there is a smooth K row between each garter ridge on the RS so you wouldn't want to P on the RS (garter ridge produced) followed by K on the WS (second garter ridge.)
#6 Ice Queen
 
Another quick project in the works:
 

Pic #6 shows Chart A from the Ice Queen cowl. But I'm not making it a cowl. It's a scarf with nupps instead of the beads recommended for the pattern. (Got that tip from a Raveller.) What I love about this pattern is that it has three rows of lace and you can memorize them very quickly so this becomes one of the very few portable lace projects I have seen. Got to run now but next week I'll list my mods for the Ice Queen because it is such a lovely pattern.

Happy knitting. See you next week.


 




 
 
 
 

No comments: