Friday, May 24, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
Well, my knitting was not "full of sound and fury", the phrase Macbeth uses to describe human existence in his famous 3 Tomorrows speech but I feel I can grab another phrase from that speech because all my bits of knitting this week seemed to be "Signifying nothing." There was no: Oh, I knitted up this intricate-patterned shawl in just two days, as some other knitter say. All I got is this almost completed red shawl which I have been working on for months. (Note: Pic #1 & #2 loaded incorrectly.)
#2 H hook edging
 
#1 Red shawl
It's done in frogged, crinkly red crochet thread; always a delightful yarn choice. In Pic #1, the right side is the top and the left side is the bottom of the shawl where you can see some  edging. This edging is triple  crochet clusters (trc) (*8 trc in 1 st, single crochet in next st* across) using a H hook, but that looked sloppy. In Pic #2, you can see it in its full sloppiness. 
#3 G hook edging
However, I switched to a G hook and this made the edging tighter. I also changed the pattern to 10 trc in each stitch, up from 8. I don't know if pics #2 & #3 show the difference but in real life you can see it.  The pattern for the shawl is a variation of Take It or Leaf It. Truth be told, I really wanted to crochet this pattern but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Here's the link if you want to try it:
 
 
I just used her basic stitch pattern and added my typical increases at each side of every row. So while she got more of a triangle, I got a crescent. Of course, she has a gorgeous pattern in her edging that I didn't even attempt. Oh well, there will be another day. After all, there was a time when I ran screaming from crochet charts; now I find them very easy to read.

The only other new pattern I started this week is another Birch Vest from Knitting Daily:

 
I've linked to this pattern before (it takes a free registration to get it) and, if you remember, I only use the yoke pattern in this pattern. Then I pick up the stitches and work a knitted pattern for the body. Here's a picture of the latest yoke:
 
#4 Birch Vest Yoke
It's done in a very, splitty cotton/acrylic yarn which is producing a very soft, loose weave. Probably the yarn would be better as an lacy summer shawl but I don't need an orange summer shawl.
 
That's it for today. Let me leave you with a pattern for a crocheted vest (sorry knitters, I just seem to be crocheting up a storm lately) from Lion Brand:
 
 
This pattern is designed by Doris Chan who is a big name in the crochet world. It's free but its rating on LB is only 2.1 stars (5 is max) because the directions are, as one reviewer said: Wow! And I mean WOW! Tricky, tricky pattern! It really is expert level.
 
I think this vest looks lovely so I'll throw you that old challenge from Mission Impossible: Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to tackle and conquer this pattern. The pool opens tomorrow and I may bring paper, pencil, hook, yarn and these pattern directions and accept my challenge. (Of course, based on the weather forecast, I'll also be working in the rain.) More next week.
 
Happy Knitting. Happy Crocheting. See you next week.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: