Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Website Wednesday
 
I think I'll be suspending my Movie Mondays for a while since I really don't have the blocks of time needed to watch modern movies. I could probably get an hour of "sit down, quiet time" but the only feature films that run in that time frame are the 1930s and 1940s Hollywood B mysteries. You know, like the later Charlie Chans and the Warner Baxter Crime Doctor series (which really aren't that bad for their type.) I don't like to dismiss these old-time B mysteries because they were the mainstay of many actors on their way up and then on their way down. In the future, in quieter times, I would like to explore this early movie mystery craze. It doesn't exist anymore. (Nor does the movie western craze, but I'll leave that phenomena to a hardier soul.)
 
Things are settling into routinely hectic around here and everyone's schedule has been ever so slightly tweaked except mine; which has been spun 180 degrees. But you do what you have to do.
 
My first pick today carries on the adorable favorite possessions (toys) of children around the world theme from last week:
 
 
You get to see food and the families which eat it from around the world. The explanation of the pictures is: Their portraits (from the book Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluision) feature pictures of each family with a week's worth of food purchases. We soon learn that diet is determined by largely uncontrollable forces like poverty, conflict and globalization, which can bring change with startling speed.
 
I wouldn't put such editorializing into this pictures (the url even mentions "shocking photos") but I would just learn from these photos what may be the ingredients for many countries' food lifestyle. Some really happy people are pictured here along with some interesting food. 
 
And now on to a more personal choice:
 
 
In times of stress, I've always found solace in poetry. Not the "laugh and the world laughs with you" stuff but lines from people who must have walked the walk and have the words to communicate the pain. Poem Hunters has the usual molasses (one of the "hot poems" right now is If by Kipling. "if you can keep your head when all about you/Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;..... " but you also get Bukowski, Zephaniah, Dunbar, Millay, Rilke, Neruda (read "My Dog Has Died") and so many more. Well worth a bookmark and return visits.
 
I hear stirrings so just one more:
 
 
I think we may have seen a lot of these photos before in a previous pick but they're worth a revisit. And be sure to go to Slightly Warped's home page:
 
 
There's a lot of good stuff here, including a tribute to Roger Ebert though I can't promise that everything here is safe for work.
 
Gotta run. See you next week. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: