Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich
 
Website Wednesday
 
Not a lot today because I'm exhausted from starting what is going to be a long trek ahead where I will be cleaning out/saving treasures from the home of one who is not yet dead. That's what makes hospice such a unique experience: the participants and his/her caretakers are looking into what may be a long tunnel to death. Depending on the illness, it's a heads-up call for getting your physical and emotional house in order. Most people hone in on the financial assets, the inheritable properties first, but there is another portion of the preparation which I mentioned above: getting rid of the stuff. And earlier this week, in a session with the social worker we worked out a rapprochement which I never expected but for which I am very grateful: DM is comfortable with me starting this cleaning process while she is alive and will even help me with decisions. (Another day I'll discuss the anti-depressant, Zoloft, which had been suggested by the hospice nurse from the get-go, has been just started, and is really making a visible change.)

So now that my "dead time" (waiting as a patient sleeps) is going to entail a lot of physical work, I'll apologize in advance for the paltry amount of website picks. Maybe by next week I'll find this extra work more manageable and less exhausting.

As I begin to look at all the "stuff" around here and think: Could I possibly save this and make something I could use? this pick seems perfect:

 
I've used hacker picks before but this one seems more high-tech in some ways. Be sure to visit their home page:
 
It's current and looks like there are a lot of helpful ideas like: How to Lock Down Facebook Privacy Now That Old Posts Are Searchable.
 
http://www.messynessychic.com/ also looks very promising but start with this story:
 

You'll be reading the story of Vivien Maier, photographer, and seeing her pictures. I'll say no more except that she was a true hidden gem.

OK, closer to home, I have to decorate two alcoves. I really don't like alcoves and need a lot of guidance so why don't you see what I'm looking at for inspiration:


There are a lot of alcove pages to browse here which I will love doing even if no inspiration pops forth. Be sure to click all around Houzz. This is a very neat site (both in the slang and cleanliness meaning.)

And finally, a long read. A disturbing read. A read which I can't say is unexpected in its content but so disturbing because it is another glimpse into the destructive and hateful nature of the human species. Are we, like Penny Patterson's gorillas (who lived so peacefully for 9 years but in the 10th engaged violent warfare among themselves), just naturally programmed for violence and hatred? We can sublimate it with sports or smother it with prayers, but is it always there waiting its turn to explode?

Read this, you won't be happy:


That's it for today. See you next week.
 


 


 
 

No comments: