Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich

Website Wednesday

As I wrote last Friday, DM has graciously allowed me to clean out stuff, re-arrange rooms, work like a dog, while she is still with us. 

I got what I wished for and I now get ready for sleep at night thinking: Please, let my legs hold out till I reach the bed. But I awaken in the wee hours of every morning as usual, refreshed and ready to put in another bad-breaking day.

I know I should be screaming about the US federal government shutdown, one among so many other plights in the world, but I finished redecorating the kitchen/family room yesterday and when I turned and saw for the first time what I had achieved, I was so happy that the any pall of anger, worry and bone-chilling ennui disappeared.

No money was spent, nothing out-of-the-ordinary was done but the rooms popped alive. The flow of the eye across both rooms to the wide sliding glass door worked. The half wall with 2 chests facing the kitchen and a couch facing the rec room proved once again that architect, Louis Sullivan, was right when he coined: Form follows function. I wanted a divider between the two rooms without an interruption to the flow of the space; I got it.

I am so happy and in this happy, happy, happy, joy, joy, joy mood let me share some sites I traveled last week in my decorating quest.

First, let's start with:


I started trying to work a new look in the two alcoves by the family room fireplace (didn't achieve that) so I began looking for alcove ideas. It was on Houzz where I saw a dining room table in front of a fireplace and I started thinking maybe I could move the kitchen table (really a fantastic Heywood Wakefield which closes to seat 2 and expands, with leaves, to fit 18)  from the kitchen area to the family room area without having me/others think: Oh, look another table plopped into a seating area where it doesn't belong. While there is a fireplace in that room but I didn't wind up using that idea. However, this table (lovely, deep, rich wood) did work in front of the sliding glass door. Now it looks like it was always part of the room.

But while I love looking at Houzz's clean, clean rooms which must be in the zillions when it comes to square footage (these rooms are big!) and never inhabited by the squealing kiddies, or even any one of the human species (these rooms are clean!), the following site is  more realistic for usable ideas by normal mortals:


At least here HGTV shows you rooms where you don't have to hire a cab to get from one wall to the other.

However, I don't overlook apartment sites for some great ideas: 


At this FreshHome site you get 30 ideas or click below where Pinterest gives you many more such ideas, all of them linked back to FreshHome:


And finally, if you space is smallish but your own, be sure to check out this site:


where you get ideas for smaller rooms. And Sunset has recipes!

That's it for this week. All interior design, all the time. Good ideas, eye candy, "I can do that" moments.

Enjoy. See you next week.


 

  


No comments: