Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich

Website Wednesday

In the wee small hours of Monday morning, I skimmed through about 3 years of my blogs. No, it was not for egotistical purpose: Oh, I just love reading my words, but rather because I was looking for a crochet pattern which I knew I had posted some time ago and which I couldn't find again with a simple google. (Of course, I did learn you must use at least some correct terms when you google if you want success, but more on this on Knitting Friday.)

Even with a skim, I discovered some cringeable errors. (I have 4 proofers with my newsletter; I'm solo with my blog, of course.) The most common was "is" for "it" and vica versa. You'd be surprised how an error in those two letters can cause reading havoc. I also discovered a comment which I never saw. (Many apologies, more on this also on KF.)  

But the funniest error, for me, was in my review of A Dangerous Method, an atypical movie by  Cronenberg which looks at the relationship between Freud and Jung. I liked the movie but had major problems with the portrayal of the interaction between Jung and Sabina Spielrein (first his patient, then his lover). It was Keira Knightley's portrayal of Sabina which had my teeth clenched. It may have been historically accurate but it tilted the focus of the movie for me and not in a positive way.

You ask: OK, don't rehash your review. What was your error? My error was that twice in the review I refer to the movie's title as Dangerous Minds, which is a movie with Michelle Pfeiffer, an actor I've always appreciated even if her movie is not that hot. (Grease 2 ring a bell?) And, in spite of being almost 30 years older than Knightley, I think Pfeiffer could have brought so much more to the role of Sabina. But to refer to ADM as Dangerous Minds (where Pfeiffer plays an ex-Marine schoolteacher) twice in a review of a movie about the beginnings of psychoanalysis? Reading this last Monday morning, I thought: How weird. But then I thought: No, how Freudian. That was the funny part. Even Freud would have gotten a chuckle.

And and in keeping with a chuckle, let's start with a light site:


Just cruise around on Wonderful Info, clicking everything click-able. You'll get a barrage of interesting trivia and a load of conversation fillers: Say, did you know............

With Demilked below, let's start with this page:


You know I like historical photos but you're going to get some new ones here, some heart-breaking ones. Then go to the home site: 


and start clicking. Demilked is a fascinating site which "milks" design examples (get it? Demilked) from other sites. Amazing, weird, must-see. Oh, and don't miss the comments.

OK, my final pick is pretty unusual for me, quotes for tired moms:


Just as it's really tough being a good human it's doubly tough trying to raise them. Allison writes a sensible blog and I like her collection of You can do it! quotes for moms. Then, be sure to click Home for a lot of interesting entries on mom stuff.

That's it for today. The hospice nurse will be here this morning and I'm going to spend some time relaxing by surfing the web (does anyone use that term anymore?)

See you next Wednesday.



 

 

No comments: