Friday, July 3, 2009

Knitting Friday

This week has been a knitting disaster. I had made good progress on my sleeve to sleeve shrug ( from my made-up-in-my head pattern) when I realized that the edging had changed about 3 inches above the cuff. So I frogged back to there......and, can you guess the rest? Right now, I’m looking at a ball of white cotton yarn and wondering: if I cast on 84 stitches for the back hem and just work a lace pattern into a rectangle can I just seam along the length for sleeves and call it a shrug? More on this later, I hope.

Then there is my lace weight brown-hued K hook crocheted lace shawl. At about head scarf size, I decided to frog (do crocheters frog?) the whole thing and go searching for a knit pattern. Yes, I had turned into a masochist and decided my first form of self-punishment would be knitting lace on US 4 needles. So, for 24 hours I searched patterns and knitted, frogged, searched more patterns and knitted. Guess what? Yesterday I was back crocheting with my trusty K hook the same lace shawl I had frogged. However...... Then I discovered two missed stitches way back in the work. Rip it! Rip it! At this moment, the shawl is McDonald’s napkin size.

Now you can understand why this week has been a knitting/crocheting disaster. So, I have no pictures, except me in tears.

However, Drops Designs:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php


is starting to post their fall collection. Scroll down and click “DROPS AUTUMN/WINTER.” Only a few of the patterns have been posted so far. I’m waiting for Z-425 since I would like to make this as a summer bolero/cardigan.

Did you notice the knitted skirts in the fall patterns? I guess they’re coming back. I have made two; one matches an Aran cabled cardigan (no, the skirt is not cabled.) I’m thinking of frogging that skirt. It looks nice matching the cardigan (short skirt under long sweater) but they’re worn together so infrequently. I think the cardigan with jeans and a skirt turned into a smallish shawl might be more utilitarian. Like I don’t have enough good wool so I have to recycle this skirt? Talk about having S.A.B.L.E. (If you don’t know what that stands for, google it; it’s there. But remember to add “knitting term.” You may not like the hits without it.)

Gotta go. It’s another traveling day and I really don’t have much for Knitting Friday this week. Hope to have better luck next week. It you haven’t been there before, you can spend the holiday weekend on the Drops site. There’s so much there you could probably spend the year.

Happy knitting.

No comments: