Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Website Wednesday

I didn't forget that I promised a "manly" website pick this week and I had googled the Boy Scout Manual and was poised to give that a go.

Then...... I googled "Boy Scouts of America and atheism" and "Boy Scouts of America and homosexuality"where I read that the Boy Scouts allow no homosexuals nor atheists to join their revered group.

The cleaned-up version of my first reaction was: You dirty, rotten scoundrels. These are kids you're talking about. From another website, I learned what a Boy Scout is supposed to be:

Trustworthy, and Loyal and Helpful and Friendly and Courteous and Kind and Obedient and Cheerful and Thrifty and Brave and Clean and Reverent.

Should we add closed minded and bigoted to the list?

Who thought of that great idea, Boy Scouts? Discriminate against young boys who don't fit your ideal. Afraid a 7 year old atheist will topple the religious structure of the world? Convinced a 7 year old understands homosexuality and will use the Boy Scouts as his recruiting ground for this "deviant" lifestyle?

And then my next cleaned up verbal reaction was: You, inglorious bastards.

You are tax exempt, you use public building for meetings and public lands for camping but you wave the banner of: We're a private, not public, organization. Don't touch us. whenever it suits your purposes. So I, the American tax-payer, wind up paying for your practices which would be shot down as discriminatory in any public entity. And somewhere, is the Boy Scout Council smiling and thinking: Yeah, ain't that grand?

So there will be no linking to the online Boy Scout Manual. Which is sad. It's a good manual with excellent advice for boys - and girls. Which is doubly sad because the Boy Scouts do such good work for the boys who fit into their band of accepted beliefs.

Perhaps the Boy Scouts should look to the Unitarian Universalist congregation for a new core belief:

The inherent worth and dignity of every person.

That sounds so much more like what a Boy Scout should believe.

Which brings to me my pick for Website Wednesday: How to Carve a Duck Decoy

A simple explanation of the procedure is found:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4885652_carve-duck-decoys.html

A step-by-step illustrated explanation is found:

http://www.theduckblind.com/cyberclassroom/huntingdecoy/huntingdecoyarticle1.htm

And some more interesting duck decoy reading with a bit of philosophy is here:

http://www.paintduckdecoy.com/

Truth be told, I don't like hunting fowl or animals for sport. (Though I might make an exception to decrease the goose population.) However, I love duck decoys as decoration. It's an example of form following function and the form on some of these decoys, which are priced way out of my range, is magnificent.

No way do I consider this a "manly" art and I know a very skilled female carver and a little girl who is in heaven if you give her soft wood and a knife. But duck decoy carving isn't decorating a room or cooking a recipe so this ones for you, guys.

Enjoy and send me a picture of a finished carving and I'll post it.


No comments: