Monday, July 13, 2009

Movie Monday

I didn’t watch many movies this week, but I did learn something. I now understand why directors love CGI.

There is an independent movie which has been part of my TV movie package for a while called Black Widow. First I thought it was the Debra Winger, Theresa Russell movie but it was one about an Italian woman whose lover leaves her an upstate NY home when he dies.

First, let me tell you what I liked. I loved the house. It’s this sleek modernistic house set in the middle of winter woods. It was so clean. I kept hoping that the director would pan around so I could see more. But, and maybe this should have clued me in, she jumped from downstairs to upstairs. No stairs shot. She missed the soul of the house.

I loved the Italian songs but then I’m a sucker for lyrics I can’t understand. I don’t think I remember the soundtrack which ran through the movie (did a soundtrack run through the movie? Can’t remember.) But I was "awakened" whenever the heroine put on a record. (And I think it was the old-fashioned technology of records though that also I can’t remember.)

But what you ask was there to increase my understanding of directors “hearting” CGI in this movie?

It was because there was absolutely no chemistry between the two main (and practically only) actors. They had graphic love scenes, for crying out loud, and I felt I was watching fish at the market.

And the mystery goes much deeper because the main actors: Giada Colagrande and
Willem Dafoe are husband and wife. And Colagrande directed and Colagrande and Dafoe were the screenwriters. (Aside: I love the name “Colagrande.” It trips from the tongue.)

OK, I understand that maybe they were self-conscious with the love scenes - too close to real life? Then don’t write them as such. It wasn’t like:

Dafoe: I’m not comfortable with these sex scenes.
Colagrande: Neither am I.
Dafoe: Do you think the writers will change it?
Colagrande: I doubt it.

And, the bloody tampon scene which IMDb discusses? Mercifully, I was channel surfing or my copy was edited because I missed that scenic masterpiece.

So we have the principals joined at the hip and a movie which is dreadful. I’m sure there was a lot of symbolism I missed. You have to care about something in a movie to even look at anything beyond the boredom.

Yet, the restaurant scene with the waiter showed promise. That was a witty line (and the only one unfortunately) where the waiter is pouring the wine and Colagrande asks Dafoe: Are you from around here? and the waiter answers: No.

Outside of this, this movie is ready for film school critiquing not commercial distribution.

Which brings me back to my original observation: I understand why directors love CGI.

Chemistry between actors is so ephemeral and lack of it so quickly can sink a picture. But add CGI. Add the heart racing, palm sweating tension CGI can bring and you’ve locked in an audience no matter how hackneyed the acting.

Case in point: Cameron’s Titanic. Elaine in Seinfield may have said of The English Patient: So, die already. Obviously, she had missed seeing Titanic.

DiCaprio and Winslet were the perfect forgettable juveniles. You know the kid sister and her boyfriend who had minor, cutesy roles in 1940's - 1950's Hollywood movies.

Gloria Stuart as the old Rose had me looking for a youthful passionate love affair. The flashback (which most of the movie really is) was such a disappointment in regard to character development. Old Rose loved this guy as young Rose? Give me a break. It was the typical unhappy rich girl and poor immigrant; that old Hollywood chestnut.

But it was the ship, the Titanic, the CGI, which carried the movie. Cameron probably could have put in talking monkeys as the leads; it wouldn’t have mattered. It was the ship which rode the waves to the top of the box office. (Oh, that was corny.)

Perhaps Black Widow could have used some CGIs. Perhaps whenever the movie slacked a giant black widow spider could appear trying to get into the house. And scary music could be added at these points. It would have added nothing to the theme but it would have enlarged the audience greatly; bringing in the massive horror fans (oh, I forgot, the spider would have to eat some people) and the “I have got to figure out this symbolism” fans. It would be a win-win addition.

BTW: The other name of Black Widow is Before It Had a Name. May I say, respectfully: What the f#&k?

No comments: