Monday, April 5, 2010


"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Movie Monday and Miss M

Since Miss M's last picture, I think we've been giving her "big" pills because in this picture she looks twice the size. I'm happy to report that in two weeks she seems completely housebroken - we're at the stage when she barks (well, it's still little dog soft in sound) when she needs "park time." I'm also well trained in always stroking her haunches as she "delivers."

Bad news in that the girl is exhausted. As you know, she is the alpha dog (ha!) here and she's fantastic with Miss M - and completely wiped-out. Two weeks ago, pictures show her as a carefree child; now, this kid needs some serious R & R!

And now, on to the Movie part of this Monday. I know, you thought I would make my feeble excuses again.

On Friday, I got to see the beginning of New Moon and I've blocked time to see it all straight through tomorrow. And yes, I'm hooked. I know I'm the salmon swimming the wrong way wh
en it comes to most moms' opinions about this vampire series. You know the feminist line: girl dangerously chooses a potentially abusive partner, etc. And you know my line: Chill!

As I've said before: be sure to get in unobtrusive "lessons" re: the danger in such relations . But then just look at this series as a rite of passage event. I'll discuss the movie in a minute but first the books. I've only read Twilight and I've only read 100 pages of it. After 30 pages it became like looking for that proverbial pony. Meyer starts out with a universal teen problem: shy kid in a new high school and community. Wow! I thought, let's see what she does with this. Well, she put me to sleep.

When Stephanie Meyer started this series she had a fundamental problem based on her religious beliefs (she's Mormon): she did not want sex before marriage between her protagonists. However, I think she was savvy enough to realize that she would be hooted and booted out of the publisher's office with such a premise unless she was only aiming at a very narrow audience.

So, she came up with vampires. I know it's a hooky and hackneyed premise but I think it works well with her intended audience. OK, on first viewing of Twilight, I'm silently laughing myself to death when Edward spouts such lines as: I can never lose control...... But getting beyond my cynical, liberal scorn I think this "If I allow my carnal desires to succeed, my vampire lust for blood will be triggered and I'll kill you." works.

Shoot me now, but I can even see a metaphor here (well, I can see a metaphor anywhere): We all have desires that will give immediate pleasure but can lead to unfortunate consequences.

OK, let me move on to the movie, Twilight, which I think is far superior to the book. I know that's damning with faint praise but here's the deal: I walked in that movie with the only this background: I knew Edward was a vampire and Bella was a human and they were (or soon would be) in love.

It was going to be up to the director, screenwriter and editor to present a story I would be interested in and be able to follow or present a story like Identity (2003) where I'm still wondering: what the hell happened in that movie?

I think that Hartwicke (director), Rosenberg (writer) and Richardson (editor) tell the story very well. And (shoot me now, again), I think there is some very good acting in this movie. Hartwicke (and I'll only use her name since it's faster) seems to be a vignette type of director. As an example, take the scene where Edward is introduced. Forget the music cue as he enters telling us: this guy is important but look at Jessica and Angela's reaction when Bella asks: Who's that? Watch how they turn their heads to see and then answer. It's completely natural.

Or go back one scene where Mike sits down at the lunch table between Jessica and Bella. After he runs off to chase Tyler, Jessica moves closer and takes his seat; he's not coming back and sitting next to Bella.

Or, much later in the film when Bella and Edward are in the truck fleeing from James and she passes her friends laughing and enjoying themselves. Nothing is said but you get the message: Bella's future with Edward demands a lot of unpleasant changes.

Now, I'm sure most people have not watched this movie a zillion times as I have unless they are in love with Edward and/or Bella and then they probably are not interested in any of this stuff anyway. However, "white noise" movies (that accompany my knitting) get a lot of viewing and analysis from me and unlike other white noise movies, like The Other Boleyn Girl (pretty, but nothing there), there's a lot to catch in Twilight.

Another theme is the portent mini-scenes.

Just two examples: Edward's first appearance in the movie in the school lunch room. You move from his walking silently to Jessica's explaining about him. When she says something like: No one here is good enough for him, you get a shoot of his face with a slight smile. Later, this all makes sense when you learn that Edward can read minds.

Or, when Laurent says to James: James, don't play with your food, when James taunts Waylon. Small point but important because logically James should kill Bella immediately in the ballet studio but he "plays" with her giving Edward time to rescue her.

I guess my appreciation of Hartwicke increased after reading those 100 pages of the book. Meyer has Jacob tell Bella the complete story about the Cullens immediately thus destroying any dramatic suspense. (That tells me never give Jacob a secret to keep.)

Hartwicke fleshes out the vampire theme and the movie by having Bella make this discovery on her own. And then, the next scene, when Bella walks past Edward into the woods with its' "right-on" musical accompaniment and the looks on his face that he knows she's figured it out, works. As does the revelation in the woods scene which immediately follows.

Finally, just a bit about the acting. I've already said that I liked the supporting acting. This can be a real movie maker or breaker when the story just revolves around two actors. And, start throwing the tomatoes but I also liked Stewart and Pattinson. Vampires have been interpreted in so many ways and I think that Pattinson with his height and skin coloring captures the look. Also, I think for his age (21 - 22) at the time of shooting, he captures the mood of this undead creature who is 108 year old vampire captured in a 17 year old's body finding love for the first time. Stewart acts awkwardly and it works (if this continues into New Moon, I might react differently) for a young, shy girl who captures the heart of Edward Cullen. I know, I know, this is such old fashioned and pre-feminist thinking. But, again, chill. If I had married my first love, it would have been a disaster. I get it. But I still needed that first love. And no, he wasn't a vampire - or abusive.

That's it. I started this post in the dark and now the sun is shining. Like a good vampire of old, with the sun it's time to move on.

See you next week.

No comments: