Friday, April 2, 2010


Knitting Friday

For some people, this is religious day. I'm fascinated by the role of religion in human life. I like to go back to study basic beliefs without factoring in the existence of a deity and try and figure out how those particular memes came to be.

Right now, I'm listening to The Golden Bough by Frazier. His thesis is that religion came about so humans could understand death. That sounds plausible to me.

No pictures today. My photographer has just returned, tired, from fishing with tales of enormous bass and carp (the later got away; the former was released, as usual.) I really can't ask him to take pictures for my "picture palette" - the dining room table - is being used to block a summer shawl.

Not one recently made but I spent the morning going through my summer tops and shawls. Most of the shawls I didn't block and that was a mistake with about 8 of them. Since I only have the one table for blocking this is going to take a while.

My Summit shawl from Knitty in blue fingering wool is such an easy knit BUT, at least for me, marking whether you are making a right or left curve is an excellent idea. I was away from knitting it for only two days but I couldn't figure out which way I was heading and, of course, my choice was wrong. But, as I've said, repairs are very easy with this pattern.

From my "summer survey" today, I need cotton tops but I'm eying this shawl:

http://www.spinningmartha.de/WebRoot/Store11/Shops/61920259/MediaGallery/Pimpelliese_english.pdf

It's called Pimpelliese; it's garter; and you make the edging as you go. Happy days!

However, its' a small shawl so I have to work out if I can enlarge it with repeats and/or use much larger needles; US 3 or 4 is called for.

Well, that's it for today. Happy holidays to all who observe. And happy days to everyone.

No comments: