Friday, April 16, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Knitting Friday

It was one of those shining moments last evening when you have a moral decision to make in a split second and this decision may cause you some social discomfort.

We were at a dinner/lecture on nanotechnology. The speaker was a nice guy: knew his stuff, affable, relaxed. Everything was going well until he got to the section where he was explaining how different countries had laws controlling the use of this technology. His approach was: Canada enacted a law......Britain enacted a law....Japan enacted a law....and in the US (pause) we got a health care bill.

What followed was his throw away line: Which apparently no one wanted.

At which point, immediately, instinctively, and forcefully, I call out: No!

And he looks up surprised (and I'm sitting right in front of him) and says: Oh, someone wanted it.

And I say forcefully: Yes!

He says good-naturedly: Well, I guess I shouldn't go there. And everything ended affably.

Not really a big deal but how could I, after months of blogging in favor of a Medicare health package for all in the US just sit there and allow this off-handed comment to go unanswered? This subject has never been a cocktail party joke to me, folks, as you all must know by now.

On Monday, I teach my knitting class so I spent today: shopping. I still have the cuff to finish on my final knitting sample for this class but I went shopping.

I got the cutest clothespin octopus from Ikea. You hang it over a rod and put light wash on his clothespin legs (more than eight) which revolve out from his body. I got another wooden Lazy Susan (and just who was Susan and why was she lazy?) [Edit: Lazy Susans date from the 1700s - thank you Wikipedia.] The first one holds the computer by my bed so I can listen to Libri Vox. I got 6 bars of Ikea dark chocolate which was 21 ounces for $5 - a bargain.

Then I went to Marshalls and discovered that skirts are back! I got two which promised to suck in my butt. In fact, they even came with pictures of a butt being sucked in (OK, I know that sounds vile but I'm too tired to figure out the nice way of saying this.) However, I didn't notice any difference in the size of my butt once the skirts were zipped up. I also discovered size 4 and size 6 felt exactly the same so I think this skirt really comes in S, M or L. I did put back the Carole Little black skirt. That fit was horrid. But I did buy a summer skirt in deep brown, yellow/orange and cranberry. Unbelievably, it works and I have three cranberry tops. How is that for luck?

So for me, this was a shopping marathon. But I do have a picture of the last variation of the top-down shell to show you, minus the second cuff.

The color is darker black, but in that picture you can't see the detail on the cuff ribbing.

Who would have thought that such simple directions as: CO 80 sts, join, *K1bl, P1* for 4". K, front and back in every stitch for 160 sts...... would be the start of so many shell, pullover and cardigan variations?

I'm gotten to the point where I just pull out the needles and yarn and start another top.

Next week, I'll show you the lone shawl (and who would have thought that would have happened?) I'm working on. Now it's time to go and finish all these samples. See you next Friday.

Happy knitting.






No comments: