Friday, April 23, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Knitting Friday


This has been a week of frogging. "Ribbit!" could be heard all over the house. First, I started a summer shell in a heavy variegated cotton - Sugar n' Cream type. (Why? Because I had the yarn.) Then, I started a summer cardigan in a much finer cotton/acyclic blend. (Why? Because I have no sense of texture.)

A short way in on the cardigan and a long way in on the shell I realized that these garments should be switched - the cardigan should be heavier and the shell should be lighter. So, both are now in the frog pond as I search for new pattern ideas.

On the positive side, my Monday night knitting class was a great success. I had 6 dedicated knitters which was a good number since I had to spend a great amount of time with two of them. My next-door neighbor had bought the yarn and needles and was eager to start. Her enthusiasm was so great that I only offhandedly asked her: How long have you been knitting? And she answers: Oh, I don't knit. You could have fooled me!

She was a fast learner though. And I was also a fast learner because we realized immediately that her circs were too large for the joining of the pullover top so I quickly worked the magic loop for her - and it worked, amazingly I didn't get the dreaded mobius join. She picked that up quickly also and the evening ended with her busily working the magic loop.

Next month, we'll continue with this project and hopefully I will have restarted my frogged works by then.

I showed the group the cardi pictured here and they all thought it was crocheted but it's a simple 4-row lace. I'm pleased with this cardi and I think that the crab stitch around all the edges but the bottom hem adds a nice finishing touch.

The other picture here is Knitty's Summit:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEss10/PATTsummit.php

Now, you all know that I make a lot of shawls but most of them are utilitarian ones since I wear them for walking in very cold weather or as a light wrap in summer. None of that exquisite workmanship for me; though I really admire that.

But Summit was different. I, and over 200 Ravelers, have been smitten by this design. It's funky and it's fun. This is absolutely one of the easiest patterns to memorize. I posted a small sample picture some weeks ago but this picture is the "good copy." (Although the picture is shown width-wise.)

Some comments about this shawl:
1. For this project, I re-learned knitting backwards (a must when you are working stockinette on only 6 stitches.)
2. I need a row counter only on the edge loops where you do stockinette on 6 stitches for 16 rows each time. However, throughout the body, all you have to remember as you are working on your clusters of 11 stitches: you unravel the top stitch when this will produce 9 horizontal threads. (This is really quite obvious when you start.)
3. If you make a mistake in unraveling the stitch, use a crochet hook to work that stitch back to the needle and fix your mistake.
4. Do you see the "Right" on the white paper at the edge? Well, the other side says "Left." Before I made that reminder when ever I picked up the work in the middle of the row, I had no idea if I was making a right or left curved section. This paper clears that up and I haven't had a problem since.
5. If you check each curve cluster after you work it (an easy check) you will have no difficulty fixing a mistake since each cluster is a separate unit and can be fixed without involving the other shawl stitches.

I really recommend trying this project. I think blocked it will be 67" x 23+" - a good size. It's made of Knit Picks Palette so the wool will keep me warm and the holes will keep me cool.

That's it for today. I have to start working on my monthly newsletter so this will be a hectic day of typing, editing and proofing.

See you next Friday. Happy Knitting.


No comments: