Monday, April 19, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Movie Monday and Miss M

I think Miss M is playing with her lion here, another real object she better not meet in real life (Remember? No toys of actual objects allowed.) She sleeps the night and seems housebroken. At this point, only the gate into the hall works in the kitchen; the one into the dining room just leans there. Which means she'll be out of the kitchen in a flash if left alone. I can't see the purpose is buying another working gate. Jenny, another, earlier, lab, didn't allow you to trap her in the kitchen as she got bigger. How do I know this? Did you ever see a door frame after a dog eats it? Or window blinds? Miss M and I play "peek-a-boo" around the kitchen island. In time, she'll just look over the island to find me.

And now, a movie: State of Play. The more I see Russell Crowe, the more I admire him as an actor. I think L.A. Confidential was my first view of Crowe and I didn't like him (that is, his character.) During the 1940s, for all you film buffs, there was a "bad guy" actor named Lawrence Tierney. He had star roles in B movies and had the reputation of being a real life bad boy.

I thought I was watching a reincarnation of Tierney in Crowe's L.A.C. role and Crowe's real life arrest for assault (threw a phone) against a hotel worker just reinforced this. However, there's a fine actor behind whatever Crowe's real life personality is.

He didn't win an Oscar for The Insider, when he deserved it but did win one the next year for Gladiator. It was a typical Hollywood "making up for a mistake"award for an angst-filled swashbuckling role they have no qualms rewarding.

I really haven't followed his movies as a look at the list on IMDb shows me. I forgot he was in Proof of Life, which I did see and forgot. I missed Cinderella Man - don't like boxing - and A Beautiful Mind. Ron Howard lacks the cutting edge as a director which I like, but, hey!, he's Opie after all.

Once again, I picked up State of Play about 1/4 through the first time but did return to watch it twice straight through.

Crowe plays a newspaper reporter on a paper which is bleeding red and to staunch the hemorrhage has introduced a blog presence. And this problem and conflict (thoughtful worked-out stories vs. instant blogging) is one of the many themes which run almost sub rosa through the plot; which is basically a murder mystery who-dun-it.

First, a black kid and a pizza delivery man are shot (we see the shooter.) Then, a Congressional researcher is pushed?, jumps? in front of a subway. Within minutes, we learn that the Congressman was having a affair with this researcher and that he is investigating a Blackwater-type Iraqi contractor. If you have lived on Mars, you may not realize that all these plot points are going to converge. They do, of course and amazingly for this type of movie, the explanations in the end are plausible, though perhaps not emotionally satisfying.

I'm not going to give away the ending since this is a 2009 movie but you won't come away with a "Ah, the good guys won." feeling. You will come away with thinking and talking points since this movie touches on important current events and important timeless moral dilemmas.

What I liked:
1. Almost no extra scenes except some short red herrings as in a lot of mysteries. It told a basically linear story without fluff.
2. No sex. No, I'm not a prude but this was a mystery. I knew people were "doing the naughty" I didn't need to see this distraction.
3. Good professional relationships: among reporters, bloggers, editors, cops, Congressmen.
4. No car chases. OK, Crowe jumps on a car to escape but this scene happens within a short distance in a parking garage.
5. People call the cops! What a novel concept.
6. Excellent performances. From stars like Affleck, Crowe and Mirren but also side roles like Bateman's sleazy cameo and Daniels' unctuous Congressman.
7. Crowe's appearance. That's an actor's presence not a star's posturing.

And a final big like: "Put a candle in the window" from the song, Long As I Can See The Light, by John Fogerty and sung by Credence Clearwater Revival. Wow! This song plays at the end of the movie as the paper is being printed (great real printing scene) and the credits roll. Just wow!

I'm listening to the song as I type. So, I'll end with: see this movie. And, stay for the credits and the song.

No comments: