Friday, March 4, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

I didn't so much forget Website Wednesday (and I did have good picks) as much as I was just too tired to blog when I got in at noon from my "gig" which began at 4 am that morning. OK, it really wasn't that bad; just long. But I realized that I really don't like to blog after the early morning hours since those hours are my laziest of the day.

But I'm not going forget knitting today. What you see on the right is my fingering weight Knit Picks yarn (Palette) which was the sky for my Super Mario projects. I obviously "saw" much too much sky in those creations for I still have enough of that color left for another shawl and probably a shell.

I'm showing this picture because I have been wearing this shawl for about a month before I blocked it yesterday with blocking wires. Yes, it had been blocked before I wore it blocked for a month; but it had only been wet blocked and then stretched using glass rocks to hold it taut.

Let me tell you that this method is NG. I was hoping that I had posted an earlier picture of this shawl but I didn't and I forgot to take a picture of it before this second blocking so you just have to take my word for it that blocking wires are fantastic.

I went from a shawl which could be stretched by hand to momentarily show a wider lace but which would immediately bounce back to a closed looking stitch. Now, the lace is wide open and the measurements went from 65" x 19" to 82" x 27". This is one wide baby. And, I walked into Sam's Club today and got a: That's a gorgeous scarf. First time that even happened.

To recap the simple, simple pattern: Row 1: K; Row 2: P; Row 3: *YO, K2tog*; Row 4: *YO, P2tog* Of course, that's the bare bones. Remember, I knit all the shawls I can on the diagonal so I have a stretchy bias. You can knit any 2-stitch pattern on the diagonal; working the increases, then increase and decrease (in the straight middle section); then decreases on Row 1 and 2.

But I really wanted to show this shawl, not for the simple pattern, but for the look that blocking wires produce. They are worth the investment and while I'd like to offer a cheap, generic solution when buying them, I do think that Knit Picks' price of of $20 for 15, 32" wires and 15 blocking pins (you will need more, trust me) is probably one of the most reasonable prices. If you're a lace maker, buy them. I think you'll be as happy as I am with them.

Next Friday: 100 skeins of yarn. What to do? There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: