Friday, March 11, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

Just some grousing today (Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!) because I forgot to take pictures and also I don't have any wow knitting pictures. I hope to be starting on the body of my brown (Why do I knit with brown? I look lousy in brown!) shell by next Friday and I think that's a pattern worth listing. But to the grousing, in no particular order:

1. Why, whenever someone comments on Ravelry about the great yarn bargains they got at a big box store, other commenters have to chime in: But don't forget check out your LYS. JHC! The original poster doesn't say: What do you think about my shopping at a big box store? but others seem to think that every mention of those stores necessities a response of: Oh, but you must support your LYS. No people, I mustn't. (This time, other commenters said the same time and I had a good time clicking the "Agree" button.)

2. What is it with all the beautiful shawls being made? I mean the lace shawls with exquisite designs. Now, as you know, I love shawls. I wear them every day. In fact, I have made two exquisite shawls (no mistakes miraculously and one the girl says she wants to wear at her wedding) but they are packed away, wrapped in a white linen cloth. I just don't get where people wear all their beautiful shawls. Obviously, they travel in different circles from me. But also, I guess I would feel uncomfortable wearing these beauties. I would look at it as I'm fishing for a compliment. OK, I got that off my chest, on to:

3: Bulky sweaters. Now I know this is probably climate related but I don't think I wear a sweater over a tee without a heavy/fairly heavy jacket for more than a handful of days in the year. First, bulky sweaters are not warm in cold weather unless you cover them with a shawl and I don't like that look; or that look doesn't like me. I would rather wear a shawl (and I'm talking warm shawl, not fancy, lacy shawl) over a blazer in such weather. Second, bulky sweaters don't work under today's warmer winter jackets. (With them, you can usually just wear a tee and a light pull-over.) And, bulky sweaters don't work with the "out-fashioned winter jackets either (Navy pea jackets) since you look like your mom has bundled you up to go out and build a snow man. I just look at the underarms on some of the bulky garments put out in Vogue Knitting and think: That is never going to fit under any winter jacket I own.

So that's it. My three grouses for the day. I'm sure I could think of more but I'd rather be knitting. See you next Friday.

No comments: