Friday, March 25, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

Late and fast today. it's been a crazy week but I'm going to end it (and begin it since this is my one and only posting for the week; mea culpas to come later) with pictures.

The first picture is the cotton and silk yarn I got in Carlisle, PA. I hope you can see the size of that yarn ball. I know, I should have used a coin for scale but take my word for it; this baby is big. And, it's very soft and fine so you really don't want any mistakes and have to rewind. This is going to be one of my simple shawls since I don't think the yarn has enough structure for a garment. At this point, the project has its own canvas bag and I'm very deliberate with my knitting since, as I just said, I don't want any rewinding. Worse than that, I don't want any yarn breakage.

This is one of those WHY? projects. I really don't need this shawl. I really didn't need this purchase but it's a reminder of Carlisle. Once I dig it out, I'll post of a picture of the scarf I made from wool I got in the LYS in the town of Carlisle. Now that I have my blocking wires, I'm realizing that I may be able to stretch this baby big time.

The picture on the right is variegated cotton from Mill Ends at AC Moore. Right now, Ravelry is having a lively forum question: What do you think about mill ends? I commented that I'm happy with Moore's mill ends as long as I stick to cottons or wacky acrylics. Most of the time, you're getting Sugar N Cream DK weight so it's pretty bulky; though I have knitted a sport weight shawl in black cotton. I'm using this top-down shell to wear over short sleeve tees in the summer and I'm at the stage where I have to try it on to see if I "stick a fork in it"; that is, I'm done. It was a quick knit and the second project I made from the same pound of cotton. Plus, I still have one skein left from the pound.

That's it. Short and sweet. Happy knitting.

No comments: