Friday, March 18, 2011

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich

Knitting Friday

I wasn't going to post today because I don't have pictures and I thought you really didn't need me to blather on about knitting without pictures. Then I got my Berroco free pattern (you get them and some other stuff every Friday if you give them your e-mail) and I thought that this really shows what I was talking about last week re: bulky, useless sweaters:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/buckland/buckland.html

(You might not be able to access the pattern without giving your e-mail but I think you'll be able to see the picture.) It's big, bulky and so V-necked that you have to wear a tee under it. This model looks happy, but why is she wearing a deep V-neck with a lot of bare skin while wearing a bulky, winter sweater? She's going to freeze going outside. I figured out that you could make these and wear them indoors when you have friends over. I can just imagine having a "bulky sweaters-to-be-wore-only-when-I-have-company collection." Perhaps, I'll start a feature of "bulky sweaters - what good are they?"

OTN: Right now, I'm working on a basketball sized skein of cotton and silk yarn. About two years ago, on the way to Pittsburgh, we stopped outside Carlisle, PA at a LYS. (And I should add that we stopped JIT because the woman was in the process of moving out and leaving the place [a converted church] to its new owners whom, she said, may or may not continue the yarn shop.)

Anyway, she had a tremendous spool of this yarn which I bought and then proceeded over the course of almost a month to roll it into the basketball it now is. Then I starred at it for about a year when I opened the basket it lived in. I really didn't have a use for this impulse purchase (as if all yarn purchases have purpose) but I finally got out US 10 needles last week and very gingerly (it is fragile) started to make one on my simple lace shawls.

And.....I love it! The yarn is so soft and the simple pattern with the white cotton thread with a strand of black silk weaved around it works well. Of course, this isn't a portable project (it's one heavy basketball.)

Next week: pictures. Happy knitting.

No comments: