Friday, November 2, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
I can't figure out why blogging is a bear today. We were very, very lucky in that we only lost electricity and a tree during the hurricane Sandy. I've been through enough floods to know the enervation you feel with all the clean-up and loss involved there and I can't even imagine how all those people facing flood damage combined with partial or total loss of their homes are coping. 
 
So, I should be upbeat today but I'm not, and I'm not proud of myself for sharing this down feeling with millions of people on the east coast right now who are living in such misery. It's like saying: I feel your pain. Of course I do, but on an empathetic level and that doesn't count. But it is what it is.
 
The kids are happy since it has been a week without school though making up the time lost (and lost state/federal aid) may include Saturday sessions.
 
We did learn some important preparedness lessons from this disaster. DH has finally said Yes to a generator. He was always worried about gasoline storage for it and the fumes it creates but we will run it from the back patio straight in to the fridge. I realized during the power outage that the only thing I was really worried about (once there was no chance of flooding) was all the food I would be losing. A small generator should fix that. (Sump pump has a battery backup.)
 
Also, we need some better lighting at night. You can't read or knit with just candles though they are good for walking around without falling and breaking your nose. I'd like to get a small three-section mirror for the small table by the couch. I would put it behind some candles and I'm hoping I can knit that way. 
 
By the bed, I won't use candles but I do have a miner's lantern type battery operated light with which I knitted and read large print books. We need more of these - both the lamps and large print books. (Under bad lighting you notice how small and light in shade so many fonts are in so many books today.)
 
We weren't cold during the power outage. First, because the outside weather was still fairly comfortable and we were able to use the stove and start the gas fireplace manually. While you should only leave these fireplaces on for short periods (the electric circulating fan doesn't work), it did help.
 
So my holiday list will consist of a generator, a mirror(s), more lanterns and more sturdy candles. Oh, and a really good radio. We did have a battery radio which barely worked so we did learn of the world outside but it wasn't until we were able to get on the internet and the TV that we got to see the unbelievable destruction.
 
I know I promised some diet news today but I think I'll just leave you with some free patterns because the only thing which calmed me down during our minor inconveniences was knitting/crocheting. 
 
First, I finished the crocheted Adelaide Circle Vest:

http://www.naturallycaron.com/projects/adelaide/adelaide_1.html
 
I wanted this for a light summer sweater and made a sample in heavy cotton. Big mistake. I made it, I tried it on and I promptly frogged it because it looked horrible; made me look big and dumpy. I think this would work in a very drapey yarn. It is a very easy and fast pattern to follow. I didn't work the linked double crochet stitch of the pattern since it's a "closed" stitch and I wanted a more open look. I used half double crochet instead. (If you decide to use the recommended stitch, it's very easy to learn.)
 
Then, I took that frogged heavy cotton and used it on the Birch Vest:
 
 
As I said last Friday, this is a difficult pattern to link to. I'm hoping the link above is active. (It looks active in draft mode but not in preview mode.) If it isn't: Google Birch Vest, scroll down to the link above and you'll be sent to the free copy of this pattern from Knitting Daily's TV show.
 
Last Friday, I posted a picture of my variation of this Birch Vest. It's in brown and I joined the body under the yoke and worked a simple lace pattern in knit for the body. 
 
That vest is finished now. I bound off the bottom after a lace row using an elastic bind off: In pattern, Knit the first stitch on the LN [left needle], then *bring this first stitch back from the RN (right needle) to the LN and K it together with the first stitch on the LN.* Continue *...* until all stitches are bound off. Then I added a row of crocheted crab stitch to the hem. Also, I worked a row of single crochet around the neck opening, though I don't think you have to. What really makes this top "pop" is that I joined the neck opening with a colorful Harmony cable needle from Knit Picks. ($4.99 for a package of three.) 
 
Working this crocheted/knitted combination has me intrigued. Next time, I want to make this top and join the crocheted yoke much higher.
 
And finally, this week I learned a far away friend is having a baby, like in less than a month. (Talk about not keeping in touch!)
 
I knew I had to work fast so I decided to crochet a blanket. I wanted to make Peggy Sue's baby blanket:
 
 
This is a very lovely blanket but after 5" I realized it was going to take me too long (but I know I'll be back to this pattern in the future.)
 
So, I went to the Crocheted V Stitch Blanket:
 
 
I'm not using the K hook recommended but a G hook. However, this is a one row V stitch pattern. Since last night, I've worked 5". I'm using Wendy's Peter Pan yarn in yellow (it's a girl.)
 
OK, I'm done for today. Not a bad blog for someone who is feeling the blahs. Next week, pictures, I promise. Happy knitting.
  
 
 
 
 

No comments: