Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings 
Tax the Rich 

Website Wednesday 

I'm restarting this posting after writing two paragraphs about the bigotry some many Romney voters have, many blatantly extolling it, many having it seethe sub rosa because I thought I should take the message from Sullivan's Travels and make you smile. So, let me start with: Broadwell. How do people with such names get themselves into situations where their names become running jokes? How do people in responsible jobs make such bad moral decisions? Assuming that the two men involved (so far only two with an FBI agent playing a pivotal, but small, role) have a religious background, (and who today holding a high position in the US, doesn't?) can we also deduce that religious beliefs are a crock since I do think every major religion has a "Shall Not" clause for adultery? And where does dickhead religious guru, Pat Robertson, get his source material for announcing: No big deal. Boys will be boys.

This story is such a succubus drawing you into a really cheap soap opera which reporters love because it writes itself so they delight in titillating us with each new detail. And I, for one, am shamelessly soaking it all up.

I'm not going to go into: Well, it's a non-story because it's a personal failing, because to me it's not a non-story. Screw the personal failing, these guys are cold, calculating bastards who enforce the rules while not obeying them. They are the military's version of Wall Street and the banks: Screw you, we're too big to fail.

I guess CIA head, Petraeus, and General Allen would have just gone merrily along except for the cat fight which developed between Petraeus' mistress and Jill Kelley, who is Allen's (fill in your best answer): really good friend, girl friend, "she's a stranger to me", I have no idea. (I did hear her call to the police when reporters were outside her house. She told them she was an "honorary ambassador" and as such had diplomatic immunity. Honest, she really said that.)

What a fascinating non-story. I can't wait for the next shoe to drop. Oh yes, I'm really ashamed of myself because normally I don't engage in gossip and I really can't see any lessons to be learned from this mess so I have no justification for my anticipatory glee. What a bunch of dick heads! And I haven't even mentioned the FBI agent who sent a shirtless picture of himself to Kelley after she went to him for help.

Though I can't top any of this with my website picks today, in keeping with the moment, lets' start with:


What a great name for a blog: I Like To Waste My Time. Though I don't think this page is a waste of time, at least not for me. It's a compilation of historical pictures, the first one being the royal couple whose assassination hours after this picture was taken would start the world on the path to WWI.

But don't stop at this page, click across the top for more great stuff. There are articles on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge and building an underground house to survive the final holocaust - you know the one with zombies attacking. And don't forget to click on Quotes. I love quotes from famous/infamous/not so famous people. The trouble is, unless I write them on my hand, I forget them so fast.

Also, ILTWMT has a mission statement I love:
We specialize in timeless, quality content.
This resource is meant to be both: educational and enjoyable.
Think of us as Wikipedia of all things interesting (minus all the uninteresting stuff).
We hate ads. And unlike other blogs and portals, we actually use our own website, so we will never have annoying ads on it. It's not all just about money – not to mention that there are less cheesy ways of making it too.

Be sure to bookmark this page for future reading.

And finally, a movie site:

I was debating this for Movie Monday but it belongs here because it's a good read for this link and also way beyond this link. IMDb is a great movie site which I always check when I forget a movie date or the spelling of a name. This link will lead you to IMDb's list of movies which they think you must see before you can consider yourself a move buff. There are 285 movies listed and I've seen a lot of them though I don't agree with everything. Like that Forest Gump was that hot or that any greatness in Raging Bull wasn't diminished by its running time (129 minutes) which, to me, dragged into infinity and beyond.

But take a look at this list. It's long and each entry takes you to the full IMDb page where you can spend vast amounts of time reading all sorts of movie stuff. Since IMDb is such an established site, I sometimes forget just how great it is.

OK, that's it for today. Right now, I'm really excited about Knitting Friday. For anyone who follows me on that day, I re-invented my shawl pattern and this time I think I have a real winner.

See you then, or next Wednesday.



  

No comments: