Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings
Tax the Rich 

Website Wednesday 

A fast post because I'm beat having gotten to sleep around 4 am and now having to get out of the house by 8 am.

As you know, I'm an atheist so I wouldn't presume to pray to any gods for an Obama victory (or rather a decisive Romney defeat) but I'm a great believer in the magical powers of Chinese foods. OK, so everyone has to have a talisman. I schlepped to our highway, go-to, take out Chinese food place yesterday noon and had this delicious lunch of shrimp and chicken with Chinese vegetables and fried rice. Salty as hell, but delicious.

And then Barack Obama was elected President of the USA for a second term last night. Coincidence? I think not!  Of course, while I watched the returns I also watched TLOTR: The Return of the King as I knitted. For over five hours. Must I now add this to my good luck charms? Oh, the horror!

It was Chris Hayes who finally said, in the wee hours of the night, what I had always felt was an Obama advantage. That is, Obama was much younger than Romney. I had always felt the country would choose the younger man; but Chris explained it so much better than I had thought it through.

He said that presidential elections, unlike just congressional ones,  bring out much younger voters who tend to skew more progressive and more in line with Democratic Party thinking. That's the reason just two years ago when it was only a congressional election, angry, older, white voters were able to put Tea Baggers in Congress. However yesterday, just two years later, the presidential voting pool included a much different demographic as the younger voters reappeared and we now have Barack Obama at 51, not Baby Boomer, Mitt Romney at 65, as the next president.

Chris felt this may be the last presidential campaign with a baby boomer candidate which does not bode well for Hillary Clinton. I don't think being a woman will help her in 2016 since she is also going to be, to younger voters, an old woman at 69.

Well, with the election of Obama we have taken one step back from the precipice. It's a beginning; a good sign, but there is so, so much more work to get done.

A quick pick this week:


Such a simple pick: pictures of all sorts of animals. Nothing to think about (if you don't want to) just cute, happy pictures.

Click, enjoy, relax. We all deserve it today. See you next Wednesday.

No comments: