Friday, November 16, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings 
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
First, the site for the baby blanket I showed last Friday:
 
 
#1 Slight ruffle
It's a Project Linus project so that might be why it's such a fast crochet (I was done in two days.) Looking at the yellow border in the Project Linus blanket again, I realize it looks nothing like the directions which are to continue the cluster stitch from Row 2 around the entire blanket. The border looks more like it's done in single crochet only. Whatever. As I said last Friday, I worked the cluster stitch as the border but used a larger hook (K) and added a single crochet between each cluster, which gave it a slightly ruffled look. (See picture #1.)
 
If you read my blog on Wednesday you'll know I'm really excited about my ubiquitous crocheted shawl pattern which first came into the world because my brain light went on with the thought: What if I make a top down shawl with no center increases but 1 increase each side, every row? Which led to shawls like the ones below. There was nothing wrong with them but the top of the shawl (top of picture in #1 & #2) was always tighter. That is, on the more rectangular ones, if you flipped them by mistake, the bottom edge would be tight around your arms.
#2 An early shawl (8/11)

#2 Another early bird (4/12)
 
Or, as you can see on the right shawl (#2), the top of the shawl would take on a wonky look.
 
Then I tweaked the pattern slightly and ended each row with a Ch-5 but began each row with a Ch-8. This helped slightly.

About a week ago, I came across a ratty skein of wool which had been frogged from a long forgotten project. It was DK weight and probably no more than 3 ozs. (sorry, I forgot to weigh it.) Now, these weird yarn hanks I find are a boon to me because I can experiment without qualms. And this is what my experimentation created:
 
#4 Eureka, before blocking
#3 Eureka!
I was able to created a shawl loose on the top and bottom. It's in a crescent shape but with more width than picture #1. 
 
Unblocked in #4, it measured 41" x 10". Blocked in #3, it's 71" x 22". It got too big for a picture once it was blocked but you can see the crescent shape and curved ends in the  #4.

Before I do any more blathering, let me give you the new pattern.

The Ubiquitous Shawl/Scarf
DK yarn (I consder one step up from sport in weight)
N hook (I'm working one now in lace with a K hook.)
safety pin (to secure the loop when you're not crocheting)
Chain (ch) 8 and make a slip stitch in the 8th chain from hook for a loop.
Row 1: Ch 8 and make 1 single crochet (sc) in the loop; Ch 8 and make a second sc in the loop. (2 loops)
Turn
Row 2: Ch 8 and make 1 sc in the first loop, ch 5 and make 1 sc in the same loop.
Ch 5 and make 1 sc in the next loop (last loop), ch 8 and make 1 sc in the same loop. (4 loops)
Turn
Row 3 & to length: Ch 8 and make 1 sc in the first loop, ch 5 and make 1 sc in the same loop. *Ch 5 and make a sc in the next loop.* Work *...* to the last loop (it is easy to see this loop because it has 3 more chains than every other loop except the first loop) When you are ready to work the last loop: Ch 5 and work 1 sc in the last loop. Ch 8 and work 1 sc in the same loop.
Turn.
 
As you can see, the only difference is that the last loop on every row will be a chain 8, not a chain 5. Those 3 extra chains will add the extra stretch needed to eliminate the tightness I always got.
 
Some thoughts:
1. This is a great summer cover-up shawl but it's rather flimsy for winter except as a scarf. I want to experiment with different heavy weight yarns and hooks to see if I can get a "warmer" look.
2. You'll notice that I only gave directions to length. That's because I haven't worked this pattern past that point. That is, I haven't stopped increasing and worked even at the ends. But you can see from the measurements I got after blocking that you can get a good size even stopping at length. Once I do some test knitting past Row 3, I'll post that. (If you work the pattern just as above, you can end after a Row 3 or work some type of border around the bottom such as a simple ch 8 and 1 sc in every bottom loop.
3. Except that I wanted to post a picture, I was not going to block this shawl but just wear it as a warm neck scarf. Even in the ratty wool I was using, it had a nice look unblocked.
4. We all have "take-along" projects and this is such a great one to slip in your purse especially with lace or fingering yarn.
5. I just test knitted the pattern above so I think it's correct, but please contact me if you find any mistakes. 
6. I want to start testing this concept with a knit pattern. I'm thinking I will be able to make a warmer shawl with knitting.
7. And finally, get yourself a shawl pin. Buy one or make one: Ask for chop sticks at a Chinese restaurant. Cut one down. Sand it and sharpen one end to a point. Take it to a craft store and buy a round, square, oval (you decide) top for it. Glue the stick to the top. Paint, shellac, decorate your shawl pin and wear it with pride. Shawl pins add such an attractive "punch" to your scarf or shawl.
 
OK, that's it for Knitting Friday.
 
Next week: I'm experimenting with making the Birch Vest without the open yoke and I'm discovering that without that opening it ain't going to fit over my head. More on how, or if, I solve this problem next week.
 
Happy knitting.
 
 
 


 



 
 
 
    

No comments: