Friday, November 23, 2012

Capitalism - Feudalism without the Kings 
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
Hanging head in shame, I'll admit I'm going out for Black Friday. But....but.....but, only to get gas in my car, pick up a free pizza and go to A.C. Moore. Why? You ask. Well, I need gas in my car, I got the free pizza coupon when I bought a booster magazine at a football game, and A.C. Moore has a first-time ever 40% off all regular items until 1 pm.
 
Oh, and DH has a Staples coupon, which is right on the way.
 
I do have a very, very, very slight justification for going to A.C. Moore: I need simple knitting supplies and they are usually so cheap ($1 to $5) that I save their regular 40% off one item coupon for a more expensive item. Now, I can get a bunch of stuff and save. And then there's the pizza. The shop is in the same area (never been there before) and who can let a free pizza coupon expire as it will on 11/31/12. (No, that is not a typo.)
 
The only other shopping I'm even considering is Cyber Monday at Knit Picks, which may be a bust, or not.
 
Not much to share today. I'm still working on my toke stitch top. That is a neat pattern and so easy to memorize (4 rows) but it's taking me forever. First, I made it too big, then I made it too small; now I hope like Goldilocks I got it right this time.
 
#1 wool of 1.2 oz
I'm still tweaking the shawl pattern from last week. I found this purple wool. As you can see, it came in a lot of pieces and only weighed 1.2 oz. But it was wool, scratchy wool, and it spliced well. The weight is heavy fingering or light sports. I used my Ubiquitous Shawl pattern and an N hook and got this:

#2 Unblocked
Unblocked, it measured 41" from tip to tip and 10" at the center. I think this one is going to need a very, very long conditioner soak to remove the scratchiness. But I think I'll get something at least 1/2 larger in length and width which will make it very wearable as a scarf.

#3 All the wool I had
If I'm successful with such a little piece of yarn (and that ball on the right is pretty small), it means I can go on a scarf making frenzy. And I would much rather work off small amounts of yarn in simple projects and not work them into lengthy, big afghan-type creations.
 
OK, this is a short posting today since I have succumbed to the succubus of today's shopping bargains. But let me leave you with a shawl pattern I'm eyeing:
 
 
It's called Dinner at the Eiffel Tower and it's on Ravelry. I don't usually like crescent/half circle shawls because most are just a lace border with loads of stockinette. But Jessie added a lot of interest to her pattern which makes it special.

And finally, I can't wish you (or me) Happy Shopping today because do I think Black Friday shopping is insane. But I do hope, every thing you buy brings you tons of enjoyment since we all need some joy in our lives. 

Happy Knitting. See you next week.


 
 

No comments: