Friday, December 11, 2009

Pass National Health Care With Public Option Now

Knitting Friday

(OK, it is Saturday, but this was written Friday morning. However, my photographer didn't get home until dark and suggested we wait till morning for the picture of the blanket. Who am I to argue with my photographer?)

Someone suggested when I told the story about the boy asking how long it takes me to knit a Mario row that I use this as a math lesson: It takes 60 minutes to knit 4 squares (I timed it; boy, am I slow), there are 17 squares in one row. How long will it take to knit one row of squares?


Or, then there is this possible Language Arts lesson: I knit six squares. Then I notice that the first square is the wrong color. Take a pencil and paper and write down the new words you will hear me say. Be sure to watch your spelling.

However, I do seem to have gotten over the learning curve for the blanket. Take a look at the picture. I'm just about half way done, excluding the border. I can see the "Mario" beginning to take form. My next big hurdle is the face since that has got to look like Mario.

Well, that may be only one hurdle because I have gotten two opinions that I should not
block this beauty. Two people like the texture of the squares unblocked.

If you look at the right boot, that's blocked. The left one isn't. I did discover that blocking really doesn't add height or width. However, blocking will add the evenness I'm looking for and I'm going to have to get a few more opinions on this.


I could ask the boy re: blocking but I think that's a concept he can't wrap his mind around at his age. (Or, probably, as a boy, at any age.) He does have definite opinions though. The pattern I'm following calls for two squares for the eye but he doesn't like that look so I'm down to one square for the eye. I hope Mario 's eyes don't have that little, beady look.

One thing I won't like without blocking are the yellow button squares. I made those squares thicker to stand out and they are my wonkiest squares. I'm planning to get matching Mario button (sewing type and not the pin type, I hope) to place there. I thought tomorrow, a Saturday 2 weeks before Christmas, would be a good day to shop for them....

And did I mention that the girl looked at the blanket and said: What about making triangles instead of squares? Then you could get finer detail. She's right. My next project?

Next week, I hope to start posting the How-To for this blanket.

Happy knitting.

No comments: