Monday, December 28, 2009

Pass National Health Care With Public Option Now

Movie Monday

Someone said to me last week that all I liked were movies with messages because I didn’t like Confessions of a Shopaholic. I think I didn’t like that movie because I don’t think I like the woman who plays the shopaholic, Isla Brentwood, whom I thought was the star of Enchanted (which is Amy Adams; Amy Adams!, she was Sister James in Doubt.) It’s that bubbly quality they both have in those movies; it wear thin. Of course, it didn’t help my appreciation any when shopaholic Rebecca slides across the conference table during a conference. Give me a break!

But I took the comment to heart and thought about it, and thought about it…..and then dismissed it. I do like good movies with messages; however, I more like good movies within their genre, message or no message. (Quick examples: Michael Clayton - good movie with message (s) and O, Brother Where Are Thou? - good movie, no message, great songs.)

Confessions of a Shopaholic fails for me in many ways. I don’t think it’s a good slapstick-type comedy. I don’t think it’s a good sophisticated comedy. I do think it’s got some very good talent to work with but it just proves the old saw: you have to give good actors good writing, directing and editing.

He’s Just Not That Into You, however, does work for me. This is a real message movie and any woman who has ever dated will find truths in it; but it’s funny; it’s dramatic; it’s packed with episodes which, for the most part, work. Some of these episodes end happily; some don’t. I think what works here is a strong ensemble cast. The Beth and Neil characters do finally achieve a happy ending; the Jennifer and Ben characters don’t and while you may see the seams of Hollywood in the first episode; with Jennifer and Ben, you walk away from the adultery seeing both sides of a very sad marriage.

I read somewhere that Hollywood’s excuse for any dreck it turns out is that if the public didn’t go to see it, they wouldn’t make it. What a cop-out! The public likes movies; it’s a short, entertaining escape for a lot of troubled lives. The public is out there cranking to keep their jobs, their heath coverage, their homes. (And even in affluent times a large section of public has these concerns.) What? This public has the time or the knowledge to start a boycott of movies?

No, the colossal stereotypical movie industry (not true indies) is cranking them out because they have a captive, restless audience and these movies are profitable.

However, movies can be both entertaining and sensible. He’s Just Not That Into You made $172,011,653 on a $25 million budget (Wikipedia) That sounds pretty good to me.

I do know there is one thing I would like at the top of all movie review; just two categories:

Plausible to reality: and Reason for your answer:

You see I really don’t want all my movies with messages; just give me this thumbs up or down fast so I know if I’m going to have to suspend any belief in logic on crappy movie for the few hours. It doesn’t mean I won’t see the movie but I may want to leave my brains at the door

No comments: