Wednesday, July 17, 2013



Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich
 
Website Wednesday
 
OK, it looks like whatever formatting demons were visiting this site on Monday have left so before they return thinking: Let's reformat this site again so it looks real crappy, let me post my picks for today:
 
I'll start with a visual:
 
 
Wouldn't it be great if all weapons were made of balloons and all wars could be ended with simple sewing pins. I'm assuming these balloons are much better grade than the "pop as you blow" birthday party grade balloons I use.
 
If you're thinking: Boy, that first pick was soooo easy, here's one to challenge you:
 

Collective Evolution says of itself: Collective Evolution (CE) creates content that engages us all to begin thinking consciously about what it means to be a human on the planet. So you know they mean business.

CE moves you out of your normal comfort zone of thinking. For example: Do you like TED? Do you think most of their lectures are interesting, edgy, up-to-date? But did you know that TED censors some talks? For example, when billionaire (How do you amass that much money? And, how can you possibly hide it under your bed?), Nick Hanauer gave a popular talk: Rich People Don’t Create Jobs, TED didn't list it on its website. (I just checked; it's not there.) because it was too partisan. I don't know if I would find Hanauer's talk on income and inequality in the USA as partisan as the TED censor board (didn't even know they had one) but: Hey, TED, I'm a big girl and I want to make such decisions. Post the damn lecture! (Note: CE has the video of the lecture.)

Take a look around at CE. Their home page isn't the snappiest (well, neither is mine) but I like their Article Shuffle feature. You'll need your thinking cap on here; you'll get a lot of ideas you didn't expect. 
 
DM was obviously cornering the market on coconut flakes (she told me she was going to make macaroons; she has never made macaroons) so this recipe page popped out for me:

 
It's no-bake energy bites using peanut butter and 1 cup of coconut flakes. There are some other ingredients like honey and flax seed which may "offend" the kids' palate so I may eliminate them. Also, they don't really like coconut but if the taste is masked by the peanut butter, I'm not averse to lying that the texture is something else. I am so bad!
 
It looks like I've never used Every College Girl as a website pick before so be sure to click around. It's not just for college kids.
 
And now, I'm going to tell you that I just self-censored my final pick of the day, Answering Christianity, because it was troublingly controversial in the sense that, among other things, it disbelieves the official stories for Pentagon bombing on 9/11 and the recent Boston Marathon bombing. (In our new wacky world of surveillance, perhaps just my visiting this site will get me new readers from the NSA and FBI!)

I had chosen Answering Christianity because of its page on bible contradictions which I found interesting and sort of a fun exercise.

I used the bible site:

 
to check out these contradictions. (Bible Gateway is an excellent site for bible research.) And yes, these contradictions are true but then the bible is a narrative written by many people over many years; it would be surprising if contradictions didn't occur.

However, as I dug deeper into Answering Christianity I knew this was not the site I originally thought it was. It is an Islamic religion site (no problem there) which, as you scroll down, gets into some out-of-the-norm conspiracy theories. I do think it's important to know that there are a mother-lode of conspiracy theories out there and I also I think it's very important for reliable scholars to address these theories and not just avid partisans. But all this is not the purpose of Website Wednesday so I pull the pick.

Let me end with a website pick from a few months ago because I need this picture to soothe my soul:

 
Oh, please don't tell me that is is photo-shopped!
 
That's it for today. See you next week.
 
 
 
 


No comments: