Friday, July 26, 2013

Capitalism - Feudalism without the King
Tax the Rich
 
Knitting Friday
 
Sorry for this late posting but finally I have some time to sit down and type. I came late into an admiration of Elizabeth Zimmerman, the doyenne of knitting,  but my first foray into the type of shawl patterns she popularized has made me an acolyte.
 
#1 EZ Pi Shawl
#1 is a crocheted shawl using DMC Cebelin crochet cotton thread. It's called the Bowtie Pi shawl and Cheri McEwen designed it based on EZ's Pi recipe:
 
 
And, of course, I like most all knitters, re-designed it in that after initial increases, I worked most of the shawl in Row 3 (a non-increase row.) That's because I was making a summer shawl and didn't want/need all the width of the original. I edged the sides and top with evenly spaced 2 double crochets - chain 2 - 2 double crochet clusters. When I reached the bottom edge I made 3 triple crochets - chain 2 - 3 triple crochets clusters in each ch2-space of all the bottom double crochet clusters. Then, when I reached the side edge again, I continued triple crochet clusters in all the double crochet ch2-spaces. I looks great. Can't wait to wear it.
#2 Doesn't look good
#3 Looks good
 
 Pictures 2 and 3 are the reason I swatch shawls (and not much else.)
In #2, you have the Vintage Shawl:

 http://freevintagecrochet.com/shawl-pattern/hilde76no374-shellstitch-stole
 
 (Sorry, pic came in sideways. The top is on the left.) It looked pretty nice in the swatch above but when I started to crochet it up, it looked crappy. Then I discovered the Sherbet Wrap:

 
which is practically the same double crochet cluster stitch as the Vintage Wrap except you work it in every stitch across unlike the VS where you have a *DC cluster, then a double crochet* across. Just that small variation made the Knit Picks variegated yarn in #3 pop. I need a mindless "pick me up, put me down" project right now and this one fits the bill. Plus, I think I'm going to like it.
 
#5 Not so wide bottom hem
Got to end now because I've been away from my patient too long but here's that white top (#4) from a few weeks ago where I made the bottom hem flair out.
#4 Wide bottom hem
 
As you can see from pic #4 to #5, the hem has been taken in slightly. It's still too boxy (probably could have knitted on 5 - 10 fewer stitches for the body) but it's wearable this way. (Oh boy, I just noticed that #4 and #5 look like two completely different tops! What did I do?)

I still have a lot of stuff like pictures of Miss A and that black cardi which is now a black top and something about two copyrighted patterns which look awfully alike to me. But this will all have to wait for next week, or beyond. 

See you then. Happy knitting.

No comments: