Wednesday, October 1, 2008

On Oedipus:

Oedipus has always interested me more than Antigone. Antigone is a favorite in high schools - teen rebellion against authority; the importance of challenging the status quo. I get that.

I think Oedipus gets short shrift. He’s looked at as the tragic hero - powerful, but flawed, displaying the hubris which the Greeks like to take down. The metaphor of the blinding - I think I get it.

But what of Oedipus as a ruler, a leader? He’s only ten lines into the play when he intones:” I, Oedipus, who bear the famous name.” The whole speech reeks of “Hey, I’m so great being here, listening to your problems when I have so much more important stuff to do.” The elitism of power pours off Oedipus

Yet when his people are troubled, he’s there for them:”Listen to me....And you shall have relief.”

His problem arises when he boxes himself into a corner when he condemns Laius’ killer to banishment, “I decree that he be driven from every house.” and condemns him to evil and wretchedness.

What a stupid thing to do since he is condemning himself. But what a wonderful lesson to modern powerful politicians. Don’t be pontificating fools. Don’t be draconian in your pronouncements. You can find alternatives to war and misery.

No comments: