Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Website Wednesday

I live in a community where if Hitler shaved the mustache, lost the uniform and the accent and walked through the door promising to lower property taxes, many would follow him.

No stinking concern here about civil rights, human rights, decent working conditions, the poor, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Hey, I care for my family, most of my community and my religion. WTF more do you want?

So I guess to prevent massive alcohol consumption, I've adopted a pretty jaundiced look at the world. But I still hope.

That's why my pick this Wednesday is about human experiences and empathy.

You can just read them or add to them at ("Anonymously connect with people who share your experiences") at:

http://www.experienceproject.com/index.php

The Experience Project says about itself:

experience project is the place where passionate people live!

As the world's largest living collection of shared experiences and the premier passions-based network, experience project is a comfortable and supportive place for individuals to share and connect with others around the things that matter to them most. With over 24 experience categories, experience project is the definitive online social conversation destination for people to connect with others who really get "it" -and them.

With millions of experiences shared, experience project caters to a ubiquitous audience of people who are growing, learning, educating and supporting each other each and every day.

Since the site's launch in 2007, has been widely recognized for the company's unique approach to doing good while doing business too. With praise from ABC's Good Morning America, The San Francisco Chronicle, Wired Magazine and beyond -- experience project is putting the meaning back in social networking.

We believe that real meaning and true connections can't occur in 140 characters or less. Don't believe us? Don't take our word for it -- see what our users have to say in one of our many groups: I Love Experience Project.

EP seems to be a compilation of stories from around the world. Sad ones, happy ones, thoughtful ones, fictitious ones (I'm sure), but all worth a look. Categories include: Arts and Entertainment (I Watch Documentaries), Family and Friends (I Ended a Friendship), Culture and Religion (I Am An Atheist), Current Events (I Have Been to Another Country), Education (I See the Education System Leaving People Behind), Jobs and Personal Finance (I Need a Damn Job), and more.

As I mentioned, I can't vouch for the veracity of the postings but the ones I clicked seemed genuine; but more than that, the comments they generated were thoughtful and helpful.

So maybe I can't change my community from ultimate capitalistic thinking but this site is heartening because it shows me there's empathy out there on the net and you don't have to join a social network to find it. I've always thought that empathy could change the world.

Go take a look.


No comments: