Friday, May 14, 2010

"Capitalism is the Predatory Stage of Human Evolution"

Knitting Friday

First, you should take a look at this column in The Record (northern NJ newspaper):

http://www.northjersey.com/news/state/93656724_Democrats_can_blame_themselves_for_Christie.html

for the best explanation on how a blue state (NJ) elected a red Republican governor. The reasoning is rather shocking: Dem legislators were annoyed that the Dem incumbent candidate was not throwing them the patronage they wanted so they (wait for it) decided not be believe the Rep candidate meant what he was spouting and .......well read the column.

How can people be so stupid? Noam Chomsky takes up the same theme in an AlterNet column but I'll leave that for another day.

I have knitting pictures! First up is a summer cardigan which I have been knitting for a month, which in dog knitting years is a very long time for me.

This pattern is my old reliable: 2 rows of stockinette followed by1 row each of *YO, K2tog* and *YO, P2tog" The yarn is Luxor in 50% cotton and 50% acrylic. It's very soft and very splity. Also, the pattern is very, very stretchy since this picture looked like a toddler sweater laying on the table but it definitely fits an adult. The sleeves are about elbow length; finished in a row of crab stitch. The length is below the waist.

I'm planning to wear this in the summer over a sleeveless top. It should look airy and cool. Would I make it again? Yes. Use the same yarn? Maybe, with a smaller needle (I used US 6) or maybe only in crochet where the splits would be easier to fix.

My second picture is a throw away project (throw away in that I used Caron One Pounder - lousy yarn; but a keeper in that I need a house shawl - this place is cold.)

This is the pattern:

http://www.yarnmarket.com/generate/print_pattern.cfm?product_id=2271

This is the shawl so far:

I'm really confused about the shape of this baby. Am I making a square? Did I mess up royally at the beginning so that now I have a top and bottom point? Unfortunately, I can't get a picture of the top of the shawl from the site and the Ravelry link has no projects.

So, I'm using a N hook for the shawl proper and a P hook for double crochets along the neck and sides (not the bottom) edges. That way when I fold the top for a collar, it will be edged - not ruffled. If I have enough yarn, I'll work 3 dcs each stitch along the bottom with a P hook for a ruffle.

I think this will work with a shawl pin. (Edit: I tried it on. It looks good with the "collar" but I think I'm going to pick up the stitches along the bottom with US 13 or bigger needles and work the bottom ruffle in garter.)

Once this is done, I have to get ready for my needlework group on Monday. I think I've figured out how to work the top down shell in crochet and in a crocheted yoke and knitted body so I can have a lesson on that. More on this next Friday.

Happy knitting.


No comments: